Not seeing recordings

Idris.Dragon

Hi all.
2 days of work and I am frustrated.
All was fine until I tried to access recordings and was told there were not any. There are!
in short:
1. I can access mp3's stored on the external HDD.
2. I can play old recordings from the video menu BUT they are not seen as recordings.
3, I can't record anything.
External 1 TB disk with separate fat32 volumes (all primary) for music and recordings.

Also noting that:
1. the option to select the drive for recordings seems to have vanished.
2. the option to test the drive for suitability has also gone.
I suspect this has all been caused by a firmware update. It seems that multiple volumes are no longer supported. But I have tried putting all onto one volume with no solution.

Any ideas what to do to resolve this.
Also do any other PVR's read Humax formats, as I am thinking of a new PVR which will not be Humax.

thanks

This is a long standing known issue that appears to be related to using the remote scheduling app which when paired causes the box to reboot every 20 mins or so to check for scheduling changes. Turning the power off for an extended period is posted as fixing the issue. Indeed affected units returned to S Korea for Humax engineers to test had all recovered access to the recordings. The good news is that Barry at MyHumax who has good contacts at Humax, reports that Humax believe they have identified the problem and are testing the fix. With any luck the fix may not be that far away.

You should be able to find the very long thread at MyHumax relating to this issue.

In the mean time can you post if you are a user of the remote scheduling app ?

There are no other G2 freesat boxes on the market other than those made by Humax, and in any case the Freesat G2 spec locks down the recordings such that there is no known way of even accessing the LUKS encrypted recording partition, let alone the likely box specific encryption that may well be applied to the actual recording files.

Basically the box s made by Humax, the UI and most of the software is down to Freesat. Free from the restrictions imposed by Freesat, Humax make some great satellite pvr's. Look at the German multituner Icord models.

http://www.pulsat.com/products/Huma...Tuner-HD-Satellite-Home-Media-Server-1TB.html

There is one Humax G2 box that is not affected. it's the single tuner HB1000S that records to an external usb drive.

thanks Graham. your detailed explanation is much appreciated. yes I had tried the remote control pairing without any success.
I have now unplugged and will let you know the answer.
by the way I see the Human format now uses NFTS and not Fat32. which am I best with?

don't really want to switch from Human as in all other respectable they are great.

thank youagain.

Idris

thanks Graham. your detailed explanation is much appreciated. yes I had tried the remote control pairing without any success.
I have now unplugged and will let you know the answer.
by the way I see the Human format now uses NFTS and not Fat32. which am I best with?

don't really want to switch from Human as in all other respectable they are great.

thank youagain.

Idris

Internal hard drive on newer Humax recorders is Linux EXT 3. The newer G2 boxes support NTFS for external USB hard drives.

thanks for your replies, but I am no further ahead:
1. Turned off for 10 hours. (unplugged)
2. Restart, but recordings not found.
3. Did Factory reset, but no difference.
4. Formatted new disk via Humax, but it will not record to it....?
5. About to revert to earlier firmware.
6. as mentioed I can see the recordings on a disk by using the Videos Menu.

Still no option to select drives for recording. It looks as though the s/ware has dropped a lot of useful options.
Don't get the feeling that Humax are really into customer satisfaction.

any further advice is appreciated.

thanks for your replies, but I am no further ahead:
1. Turned off for 10 hours. (unplugged)
2. Restart, but recordings not found.
3. Did Factory reset, but no difference.
4. Formatted new disk via Humax, but it will not record to it....?
5. About to revert to earlier firmware.
6. as mentioed I can see the recordings on a disk by using the Videos Menu.

Still no option to select drives for recording. It looks as though the s/ware has dropped a lot of useful options.
Don't get the feeling that Humax are really into customer satisfaction.

any further advice is appreciated.

Did you read the thread I told you about ? Earlier Firmware has the issue. Seeing the recordings on the disk using the videos menu is completely new to me. The videos menu accesses a seperate non protected area of the hard disk that you can upload suitable external videos to. The recording partition that has the Freesat made recordings is completely seperate and is LUKS encrypted. Did you use the remote scheduling app, as I asked originally.

Graham: As I answered before I had tried the remote app with no success:
The HDD is external not internal. I have to format from PC.
Even with a Humax format it will now not record or pause. It is not linking the HDD to recording but it is being seen.
I did find a thread, but as you didn't link to one I am not sure this is the one. From that thread, Humax continue to fail to resolve problems. Clearly a new (non Humax) solution is needed. No recording at the start of the Rugby season. Not happy!
More concerning or as concerning is the dropping of options on the menus - to select volume for recordings. Despite going back one firmware the f/ware still seems as useless and unfriendly.
From the thread there is little point in talking to Humax.
would a new Humax allow me to view these old recordings?

Why can I not record having reset and formatted a new HDD? If I can solve that at least I can survive until I get a real solution.

Essentially this product is not fit for purpose. Its main purpose does not work. It should not be sold until these issues are resolved.

thank in advance.

Last edited:
Graham: As I answered before I had tried the remote app with no success:
The HDD is external not internal. I have to format from PC.
Even with a Humax format it will now not record or pause. It is not linking the HDD to recording but it is being seen.
I did find a thread, but as you didn't link to one I am not sure this is the one. From that thread, Humax continue to fail to resolve problems. Clearly a new (non Humax) solution is needed. No recording at the start of the Rugby season. Not happy!
More concerning or as concerning is the dropping of options on the menus - to select volume for recordings. Despite going back one firmware the f/ware still seems as useless and unfriendly.
From the thread there is little point in talking to Humax.
would a new Humax allow me to view these old recordings?

Why can I not record having reset and formatted a new HDD? If I can solve that at least I can survive until I get a real solution.

Essentially this product is not fit for purpose. Its main purpose does not work. It should not be sold until these issues are resolved.

thank in advance.

You cannot record to an external hard disk from any of the models listed in the thread title. Not sure why you think you can. Not aware of any twin tuner pvr from any maker that can do this. Humax does have a single tuner model that can record to an external usb hard disk (HB-1000S).

You are failing to recognise the limitations of the box capability imposed by Freesat on Humax and any other box maker to get the Freesat license.

The answer to your question is no, Freesat insist on at least HD recordings will not play on any other box that did not record it. Humax are perfectly capable of making a box that does what you want (and do so), it will not be freesat certified

Basically I guess the issues are related to the copy restrictions imposed by Freesat, and teething problems from the double encryption.

There are dozens of free to air satellite boxes that can record any of the channels and be able to freely export both HD and SD and be able to use them externally.

Trouble is very few of them have the convenience of a epg or the capability to record from an epg, and include the capability to record whole series (and even less than can use the broadcaster accurate recording control codes).

If you want to go down this route, you have to be prepared to manually update the channel list.

As to your post not fit for purpose, you may have some sort of claim as to your present problem, recording to an external hard disk is not one of them. The box design does not allow recording to an external HDD and the Freesat+ spec most certainly does not include the capability to record to an external hard disk.

I have one of the original HDR1000S boxes, it works fine so far.

Can you answer the question, have you used the the remote scheduling app ?

I don't understand your post re-recordings for HD except to say that HD recordings use Dolby Digital audio. Most TV's are not able to handle volume control on this more advanced audio codec. If you had asked the solution is simple, merely use the box TV setup menu to change the digital output to stereo. This sets the box to output lpcm stereo same as SD channels. This is a issue with your TV and nothing to do with Humax.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/replace-or-repair/page/3#post-52085

You cannot record to an external hard disk from any of the models listed in the thread title. Not sure why you think you can. Not aware of any twin tuner pvr from any maker that can do this. Humax does have a single tuner model that can record to an external usb hard disk (HB-1000S).

You are failing to recognise the limitations of the box capability imposed by Freesat on Humax and any other box maker to get the Freesat license.

The answer to your question is no, Freesat insist on at least HD recordings will not play on any other box that did not record it. Humax are perfectly capable of making a box that does what you want (and do so), it will not be freesat certified

Basically I guess the issues are related to the copy restrictions imposed by Freesat, and teething problems from the double encryption.

There are dozens of free to air satellite boxes that can record any of the channels and be able to freely export both HD and SD and be able to use them externally.

Trouble is very few of them have the convenience of a epg or the capability to record from an epg, and include the capability to record whole series (and even less than can use the broadcaster accurate recording control codes).

If you want to go down this route, you have to be prepared to manually update the channel list.

As to your post not fit for purpose, you may have some sort of claim as to your present problem, recording to an external hard disk is not one of them. The box design does not allow recording to an external HDD and the Freesat+ spec most certainly does not include the capability to record to an external hard disk.

I have one of the original HDR1000S boxes, it works fine so far.

Can you answer the question, have you used the the remote scheduling app ?

I don't understand your post re-recordings for HD except to say that HD recordings use Dolby Digital audio. Most TV's are not able to handle volume control on this more advanced audio codec. If you had asked the solution is simple, merely use the box TV setup menu to change the digital output to stereo. This sets the box to output lpcm stereo same as SD channels. This is a issue with your TV and nothing to do with Humax.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/replace-or-repair/page/3#post-52085

Can you answer the question, have you used the the remote scheduling app ? 3RD TIME yes WITH NO SUCCESS.

WHY DO I THINK I CAN: Because I have for 3 years and now lost these recordings. Clearly I have had a wrong update on the firmware.

Back