Nothing being displayed in HD (all SD resolution)

I previously had a problem where my new Aura would only display in HD if I set the HDMI resolution to 1080p/60Hz - if I set it to Auto or 4K it would display the picture in SD.

Now it is displaying everything in SD regardless of what the HDMI resolution setting is. If I plug a different Freeview box (an old Panasonic PVR) into the same TV (LG OLED6524LA) I get full HD. I've also tried switching HDMI cables (i.e. using the one from the Panasonic PVR) and it made no difference.

I've been in email dialogue with Humax support but they're blaming it on the broadcaster (???).

Had anyone else had problems getting a HD picture out of the Aura?

Our Aura is 'her' box, so I don't usually watch it. She's never complained but then she watches a lot of SD and isn't particularly bothered as a rule.
However I was just in there setting up a recording, so I made a point of looking closely (about 3ft from a 65" 4k screen) at the picture. BBC One HD live and a recording from 4HD both appeared to be HD with the in-focus edges sharper than I'd think SD could manage.

Please tell us what make and model of TV you are using?
Sorry I've just seen your reply. The TV is an LG OLED65C24LA. I've just done a manual retune, on the advice of Humax customer support, but the picture still doesn't look HD. Is there a way of telling what the resolution of the source content is? (The TV info always shows 4K, presumably because the Aura is upscaling)

On the Aura remote press the S/AD button twice you should see the Audio Video Options panel.
Next to Video Source you will see the input resolution followed by the Display output resolution.
For example at the moment I am watching Channel 4 HD.
Video Source is 1920x1080@25fps / Display: 3840x2160p50

You can also opt to change the output resolution at Video Resolution.

You will see at Video Resolution on the right there is a number and a output resolution.
Again with me watching Channel 4 HD the option is 2 1080p 50Hz.
Press 2 on the remote to switch to that resolution, the Aura will take a couple of seconds to adjust.
(Although I am not sure how useful this is as the TV will probably upscale to 4K anyway)
After doing this you will now see at Video Resolution 1 4K 50Hz, press 1 if you want to go back to 4K.

Under Settings> Audio & Video> Video my Aura is set thus,

HDMI Resolution
Auto (1080p-50HZ - Dynamic switching enabled)

Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching
Low

Display format
Auto

Video Upscaling
Auto

Sorry I've just seen your reply. The TV is an LG OLED65C24LA. I've just done a manual retune, on the advice of Humax customer support, but the picture still doesn't look HD. Is there a way of telling what the resolution of the source content is? (The TV info always shows 4K, presumably because the Aura is upscaling)
Have you tried turning off the HDMI Deep Colour setting on the TV?

AH OK thanks - found it. I already had HDMI Deep Colour turned off.

Thanks for the tip about the S/AD button. The main HD channels look just about OK most of the time, and the settings are showing the sources as 1080p, but sometimes the picture looks distinctly low-resolution. There was a Gordon Ramsay programme on Channel4 earlier today which looked very blurry.
I guess it's just the odd low-res source that doesn't upscale very well.

Sadly there seems to be no simple on off option to disable upscaling on an Aura.
There isn't on HDR-FOX either, but one can choose the HDMI output to be the same res as the incoming broadcast. Is that not available on the Aura?

Back