NTFS filesystem trouble

dandnsmith

Forum Supporter
I discovered today, when I connected a 2TB (partitioned) HDD to my HDRT2 that the NTFS filesystem was getting mounted readonly.
When I connected a 64GB USBstick containing an NTFS filesystem it mounted readwrite.
I checked the 2TB drive by connecting it first to a Win7 system (no suggestion of any errors), and then to s Linux (OSMC) system (also no errors/and readwrite).
I further rebooted the HDRT2 system several times and used fix-flash-packages to see if it would help -it didn't.
I have the NTFS3G packages installed.
The last time I used the 2TB drive with the HDRT2 was several months back, and then it was mounting readwrite.
What can I do to test it further and/or fix it?
Derek

I've done the check and got
Code:
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
so ran CHKDSK /F and got
Code:
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

So far so good - but it still doesn't get mounted correctly, so I dug a bit deeper.
The mount command shows:
Code:
/dev/sdc1 on /media/drive2 type ntfs (ro,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)
in conttrast to my test USBstick
Code:
/dev/sdc1 on /media/PATRIOT2 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other)

After playing around some more I found that, now only 2 of the 3 filesystems are getting mounted
Code:
/dev/sdc1 on /media/drive2 type ntfs (ro,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)
/dev/sdc3 on /media/drive3 type vfat (rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed)
 but there used to be 3 - cf fdisk listing:
/dev/sdc1               1      206232  1656554528   7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc2          206232      217705    92158976   7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc3          217706      243201   204796620   b Win95 FAT32

I then checked on my Win system which shows and mounts all 3 filesystemsm including the exFAT

Now I'm not sure what's happening, and why the NTFS filesystem isn't being mounted via fuseblk.
Any suggestions - I've started thinking defensively about copying all the files off and re-doing the 2TB partitioning and formatting?
Derek

Thanks prpr,
Yesterday afternoon I started on a clearup in preparation for the copy -
  1. under Win7 disk management I spashed the offending partition to minimum size (without affecting stored data
  2. deleted the other 2 partitions
  3. created a new NTFS partition occupying the rest of the HDD
  4. copied a small number of files (some 15GB) into it
  5. plugged the disk into my HDRT2
To my surprise both partitions mounted via fuseblk readwrite

Obviously, at some point things changed for the Humax box - but could it have been the partition size (unlikely, I feel as it used to work without problems), could it have been some irregularity in the partition table (fixed by the deletion of partitons and creation of new), or could it have been some change in the HDRT2 NTFS handling?
Since changing the offending partition size back to previous would be fairly easy, if a little time consuming, I'm tempted to do that as an experiment.
Derek

What does that mean? I can't think of any obvious typo.
Obviously, at some point things changed for the Humax box - but could it have been the partition size (unlikely, I feel as it used to work without problems), could it have been some irregularity in the partition table (fixed by the deletion of partitons and creation of new), or could it have been some change in the HDRT2 NTFS handling?
Difficult to tell, and you've trashed your original test case now. Probably put it down to one of those weird MS things that you will never know the answer to.

Good try - actually squashed.
I know I lost my test case - but, at the time, I was searching for a way to save the files, and had insufficient space elsewhere.

Back