Old age and amnesia

dragnil

Hi all,
I feel stupid having to ask this and I've searched for the answer but I'm still wondering if I'm going doolally (please don't answer that!). I recently had a TV chappy in to fit a new aerial and he stayed to retune and check that all was well.
Since then I notice that I can't watch the TV unless the Hummy is switched on and I feel sure that it wasn't like that before.
Aerial lead goes into Hummy at Aerial In and the out socket goes to a DVD recorder and then from there to the TV. The pass through is OK at the DVD recorder - it doesn't have to be switched, so why not the Hummy?
It's not a show stopper, we usually watch TV "through" the Hummy but my lack of understanding is annoying me. What am I missing apart from relict grey cells?

I believe that you need
Menu button - Settings - Systems - Power Management - Power Saving in Standby - Off
in order to leave the aerial output on when in Standby.

Ahaa! Brilliant fast answer - thanks Harvey. He did say that he always reset all to maker's default and I had to switch the server back on, perhaps that should have been a clue but I don't go in here very often! I've turned off Auto Power Off as well - is that correct?

Auto power off is something else, I have it turned on. It will switch the unit to Standby if nothing happens (no record, replay or control inputs) for a couple of hours.

If the rf from the aerial gets through the Hummy to the DVDR but not to the TV, it seems likely that the rf out coax from the DVDR to the TV either has a missing cable, the cable is faulty, or it just needs pushing into it's sockets (the most likely problem). .

The Belling lee sockets traditionally used in the UK for RF connections believe it or not date from the 1920's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector

They have two major issues,

For reliable connections the centre core needs soldering or a tiny screw clamp.

They reliably totally on friction to remain seated and the centre connection to tightly grip the connection in the socket (they frequently fail to connect).

The much newer and reliable f type 75 ohm connector uses in the US and for better quality terrestrial kit cannot simply fall out of its sockets by touching the leads or simply moving the box, as the have a screw on fitting.

Additionally at higher frequencies (as used in satellite IF connections), they have a much better 75 ohm impedance match than even properly fitted Belling Lees.

Scart connections (also lacking a physical lock to the socket), also have similar displacement issues.

EDIT

It appears your comment on the signal getting through to the DVDR is incorrect

I believe that you need
Menu button - Settings - Systems - Power Management - Power Saving in Standby - Off
in order to leave the aerial output on when in Standby.

Hi Mutley, Just about worked that out as I posted, I've put it back to "On". Thanks to all for the help so quickly given, this forum is super!

PS This is in response to your second - more fat fingers!

Back