Permanent 'redring' when system is 'off'

makem

I have two identical HDR Fox T2 machines, which have identical customised firmware settings settings.

One machine, the oldest of the two, displays a bright 'red-ring' when turned off using the remote and when turned on with the remote, displays a 'blue-ring' which can hardly be seen.

The machine is offline, not on standby as it is not available on the network when it shows the red ring.

The other machine behaves normally, in that the 'ring' is off when turned off with the remote and bright blue when turned on.

I have checked the redring package settings and I am sure they are identical.

Apart from this annoying red ring, the machine behaves normally.

Has anyone a solution/reason for this?

The machine is offline, not on standby as it is not available on the network when it shows the red ring.
This is some kind of misunderstanding. "Standby" is a state where there is no CPU activity, therefore no network activity either. It's confusing if we don't all use the same terms in the same way. The only lower state is "off", whith the mains switch off (or disconnected from the mains). Things Every... (click) section 18.

The other machine behaves normally, in that the 'ring' is off when turned off with the remote and bright blue when turned on.
When you say "turned off" I presume you mean in standby, ie will turn on if you press the power button on the handset (or on the front panel). If so, "normal" would be a dim orange ring unless you've fiddled with it using redring.

IMO you should remove redring, or even the CF entirely, and see what happens then, to get some idea where the fault lies.

I have two HDR's with redring. It took me ages to tweak the settings to get the rings to look the same in different states. I can only assume that one has 'worn' more than the other.
They are still not perfectly the same but as close as dammit...

I was unaware that when 'off' via the handset the ring showed a colour of any sort. I thought that 'off' was no colour as in the younger of the two machines. For me it made sense to have no colour for off and a colour to show what was happening when 'on'. My settings are, no colour when 'off', blue when 'on' either by me or auto, red when recoding one program and purple when recording two programs.

Perhaps you can explain why it shows a colour when 'off' and why that particular colour? I must have turned that setting off at some time but cannot see how I did.

I will remove redring and start it from scratch, copying the younger machine settings.

I uninstalled redring and re-installed it. The settings from the previous install were picked up so remain the same.

I did notice that when I turn the younger machine off using the remote it is unreachable via the network. However, the older machine (the one with the 'ring' problem), remains online and available on the network when turned off via the handset. I don't hear the drive turning and the box does not feel warm.

Edit: I just realised snooker is on and it is set to be recorded. However it used to turn blue when recording or waiting to record. I am thinking, it is old, like me and perhaps best left alone to do it's thing without worrying why something is not as normal like me.

Last edited:
However it used to turn blue when recording or waiting to record.
I can't say what might or might not happen when you have redring installed and configured, that will depend how you have it configured. Without redring, the ring (as standard) does this:
  • Power Off (at the mains): no light (obviously);

• Stand-by (including during return-to-standby): Dim Orange;

• Recording in Stand-by: Dim Red;

• On: Blue

• Recording: Red
If the LEDs are ageing and becoming faint (certainly the blue, but also possibly red and orange, are actually UV LEDs with a phosphor coating), you might find these difficult to see at times.

I've noticed the last several years that my blue sensitivity is variable. If I'm looking a bit - or a lot - to one side of a not-so-bright blue indicator it is clearly visible, but if I then look directly at it it gets dim, or even disappears. So I can often see the dim, blue awake indicator on the FOX out of the corner of my eye, but when I look at it directly it's gorn.
I assume my cones are not as good with blue as my rods.
I imagine it is probably due to my advancing years, but it is perhaps possible my eyes were always like this and it's only the relatively recent appearance of millions of blue indication leds that has illuminated the issue ... so to speak.

I assume my cones are not as good with blue as my rods
Rods don't really do colour, only cones do.
The fovea is the bit that gives maximum visual acuity and is almost all cones, but cones don't work well in low light, so you don't see much colour if looking at something dim directly. This is why you see the colour when not looking directly - the mix of rods and cones further away from the fovea gives you better overall blue-green response.

Rods don't really do colour, only cones do.
The fovea is the bit that gives maximum visual acuity and is almost all cones, but cones don't work well in low light, so you don't see much colour if looking at something dim directly. This is why you see the colour when not looking directly - the mix of rods and cones further away from the fovea gives you better overall blue-green response.
I knew about the different sensitivities of the centre and outer but not that the outer was better at blue-green. It makes sense now.
So it's probably not an age thing after all, just that I've only noticed it later in life.

I've noticed the last several years that my blue sensitivity is variable. If I'm looking a bit - or a lot - to one side of a not-so-bright blue indicator it is clearly visible, but if I then look directly at it it gets dim, or even disappears. So I can often see the dim, blue awake indicator on the FOX out of the corner of my eye, but when I look at it directly it's gorn.
I assume my cones are not as good with blue as my rods.
I imagine it is probably due to my advancing years, but it is perhaps possible my eyes were always like this and it's only the relatively recent appearance of millions of blue indication leds that has illuminated the issue ... so to speak.
When I had my lens (eye) replaced there was an immediate dramatic improvement in all colours. Previously they had been muted with a brownish sort of overcast. I was able to compare before and after as they do one eye at a time. I no longer need glasses for driving/distance but must use reading glasses.

Back