Pink Screen

ameezy

Hi,

Everytime I switch on our Freetime box, I'm getting a picture, but it's in a lovely shade of pink.

I can't seem to rectify the problem. I've tried...

• Restarting the box
  • Applying a factory reset
  • Changing HDMI cables
  • Switching between HDMI inputs on the TV
Nothing works.
I would love any advice to help sort this problem out.
Cheers
Ameezy

Have you tried connecting via a SCART lead as a temporary measure to see if you get the same symptoms?

Either this box is connected to the TV by SCART/RGB and the green channel is broken, or there is something seriously wrong with the TV or the box. If the TV is fine with other sources (preferably connected using the same cable and input), then it's the box.

Reasoning: a purple hue indicates the loss of green. HDMI is a serial digital communications standard, either the whole picture gets through or none of it. Loss of green is easiest to explain if the green channel of an RGB analogue interface is missing, either on RGB phono or SCART set to RGB. If the connection is definitely HDMI, then either the source device is not encoding the HDMI signal properly or the TV is not decoding it properly - either is a significant fault.

It's just misleading to say purple indicates a loss of green from RGB, unless you are saying Purple and Magenta are the same colour

Attachments

• purple-magenta.jpg
    purple-magenta.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 12
Does a green screen mentioned in other threads imply a loss of red and blue then BH?
Of course it doesn't.

I would say that it is an absence of Red and Blue, they are not lost if they were never intended to be there, it may be that green is intentionally displayed to show an HDMI handshake failure. So for once I agree

As purple is a range of colours between red and blue, if you take green from white, you will have a purple hue. Just because (perhaps) the accepted name for the colour white minus green is magenta, it is still a shade of purple which could be interpreted as a pinkish colour cast, as opposed to a greenish or bluish cast.

There is no perhaps about it White = (Red 255 + Green 255 + Blue 255). Magenta = (Red 255 + Green 000 + Blue 255), Magenta is the subtractive colour of White - Green

RGB.jpg

Red Blue Green Magenta Cyan Yellow

Yes, I know all that, but is it called magenta in all languages? After all its only a word describing a colour, but in your efforts to re-educate BH and me about the RGB colours, you seem to have totally ignored my premise that magenta is within the range of colours described as purple, lying as it does between red and blue, and so BH is correct in describing the colour cast produced by lack of green as purple.

We seem to be drifting a bit off topic here, as this conversation does nothing to help Ameezy with his problem.

Precisely. The OP described it as "pink", and I tried to find out if it was more like magenta (which in common terms would be described as purple - how many non-technical people know what magenta is?). As so typically happens one enquiry and a couple of simple replies has exploded into a long debate on semantics better confined to AvP - when really what we need is feedback from the OP before further progress can be made.

How many times do I have to say it: pitch your posts at the level of the enquirer!

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses so far. In response to the original reply - when I switched to using a SCART cable the picture was normal (if not as sharp, obviously!). For some reason, when I switched back to HDMI the situation was rectified.

Is this a glitch, or a long term problem?

By the way as for this...

How many times do I have to say it: pitch your posts at the level of the enquirer!

With A-levels in Computer Science, GCSEs in Graphic Design and an Engineering Degree, I'm quite aware of what Magenta is. However, I felt that by saying 'pink' most people on here would know what I'm talking about.
Cheers
Ameezy.

If the problem does not come back, it was a glitch. If it comes back, it is a long term problem.

Most people here probably don't have the qualifications that you have, but a posting with the word pink sort of indicates that the poster is not as qualified as you. Everyone from who you might elicit a reply here would be fully aware of what you were talking about if you had said magenta (or purple)
So as BH would say, pitch the question at the level of the questioned.:)

If BH "was pitching the question at the level of the questioned" he should have used the word pink rather than the word purple in #3. Why change it to purple?

I felt that by saying 'pink' most people on here would know what I'm talking about.
That's fine, but in so doing you gave no indication that you are more than a novice.

HDMI suffers the occasional glitch, I can't believe you worried about it before trying the standard "have you tried turning it off and on again".

Back