Playing back recordings on a replacement HDR Fox T2?

Marck Maddux

My original HDR Fox T2 developed a fault and would not power up. So I bought a replacement and transferred the original Hard Drive into this. Installed the latest firmware and packages.

However, none of the recordings from the original T2 will playback, just a black screen and message 'The channel is scrambled or not available'. All theses recording were decrypted on the original T2.

When I check Diagnostics and Queued Tasks, it is trying to decrypt the files again. In the status column is the word DEFER and in the log column 'Recording did not decrypt properly'.

Is it possible to playback these recordings.

All theses recording were decrypted on the original T2.
It seems that they were not.:(
Presumably you still have the original T2? Without it's serial number and MAC address I think you are stuffed.
Is it possible to playback these recordings.
Not without decrypting them.
Never mind. An expert will be along in a bit and suggest a rescue technique.

Make sure you have decrypted All the recordings already made using the new box.
Then set the decryption key to use the serial number and MAC from the old box.
It will then be able to decrypt the older recordings and any new recordings you make

All theses recording were decrypted on the original T2.
Clearly they weren't, otherwise they would play on the new HDR.

When I check Diagnostics and Queued Tasks, it is trying to decrypt the files again.
Proving that they were not decrypted in the first place. The decryption will fail, because the key is wrong. Use the WebIF to change the key to that of the original HDR, and decryption will work. Alternatively, decrypt off-line.

And as it appears that they were not decrypted when you thought that you had done it, it might be worth while taking a peek at your decryption methodology as it appears that it does not work.

And as it appears that they were not decrypted when you thought that you had done it, it might be worth while taking a peek at your decryption methodology as it appears that it does not work.
Since they are now queued for decryption it would appear the current setup is correct (apart from setting the key)
Trying to understand what was happening on the old machine is of little value now.

Of course there is. Should we just forget the past and not bother to learn anything from our previous mistakes by analysing what went wrong?
Agreed that it seems that he has got it right now, but presumably didn't on his old box that apparently didn't decrypt when he thought it had. So it seems that there could be a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong again. Or does my understanding of statistics let me down like my understanding of most other stuff.

Back