Playing HDR-FOX T2 files on Aura

MikeSh

I am about to replace our active FOX with an Aura, but there is a lot of stuff on the FOX that needs to be watchable.
Can SD programmes be copied over directly?
I assume HD would need decrypting, but that would be a big job as there is a lot. So is there any way to play programmes directly from the FOX on the Aura, over a network for example?

Posting this in Aura rather than FOX forum as I imagine this is where someone who has info on this specific process would be.

I am about to replace our active FOX with an Aura, but there is a lot of stuff on the FOX that needs to be watchable.
Can SD programmes be copied over directly?
Both SD and HD recordings are encrypted on the HDR-FOX T2 so both need decrypting. On the Aura, as far I can tell SD recordings are not encrypted. The main issue is that there is no way to play recordings not made on an Aura via the usual user interface (my best guess is that this is because the Aura doesn't use sidecar files so I assume the information that would be in a sidecar file is now held in a database and there is no way to create those database entries for external recordings). You need to install a media player such as VLC on the Aura.
So is there any way to play programmes directly from the FOX on the Aura, over a network for example?
You could use the DLNA server on the HDR-FOX T2 and play it on the Aura via VLC.

I assume HD would need decrypting, but that would be a big job as there is a lot.
Not that big a job, just set it running and leave it for a few days. But if you're copying stuff to USB anyway, there's no difference between StDef and HiDef if you run auto-unprotect first. Alternatively, recordings can be decrypted in Windows or Linux very quickly.

You could use the DLNA server on the HDR-FOX T2 and play it on the Aura via VLC.
Or maybe (post-decryption) just hook the HDR-FOX's HDD up with a USB adapter (and then play by VLC)?

If you go with DLNA, then auto-unprotect will sort out HiDef even if the HDR-FOX chooses not to stream protected content to the Aura.

Thanks both. I don't want to dismantle the FOX to get the HDD out unless essential, so I'll have a look at installing VLC, etc.
Is there any resource to walk me through the process of installing VLC on the Aura?

I think you just go to the app store, like an Android phone.
OK. I'll wait till I've got the box then, though that raises an idea.
A bit OT for this thread, but with an Android TV could I install VLC on that and watch programmes from the HDR directly over Ethernet? (ie. Skip the Aura part entirely.)

Is there any resource to walk me through the process of installing VLC on the Aura?
I am not at home at the moment so can't talk you through it but basically just press the APPS button on the remote and Select Google Play Store and then search for VLC.

with an Android TV could I install VLC on that and watch programmes from the HDR directly over Ethernet?
I don't think it has to be specifically an Android TV, typically "smart" TVs have a streaming client (although early ones were a bit limited with format compatibility - M2TS masquerading as TS is a stumbling block). The point about VLC is its ability to handle that kind of thing, and codec switching mid-stream (as happens in broadcast data).

Choosing a TV implementation of Android should result in having an app store available, but the actual content of that store will depend on the manufacturer having chosen to make any particular app available - they all need vetting and possibly tweaking, or at the very least the manufacturer wants to retain some control. Same applies when it comes to Android updates - the various phone makers release updates for their phones a considerable time after Google has released an Android update (if at all). Basically, check for VLC app availability for that specific model of TV before you buy.

The HDR-FOX authenticates a DLNA client by DTCP, which is a cryptographic handshake intended to verify that a streaming client does not have the capability of saving the streamed content. If DTCP fails, the HDR-FOX refuses to stream protected content (ie HiDef recordings, unless you've unprotected them by running the unprotect package). We know the HDR-FOX accepts other Humax PVRs as secure clients, maybe including the Aura, and perhaps it will accept TVs... unknown. Not a problem if you unprotect of course.

However, the playback by DLNA isn't as "nice" as playback natively, and personally I would prefer to use an HDR-FOX (or even HD-FOX using file sharing) than DLNA from VLC... although if you're going for a cable-free installation that isn't going to work for you.

OK. Progress, though not as I'd like.
I am not at home at the moment so can't talk you through it but basically just press the APPS button on the remote and Select Google Play Store and then search for VLC.
Thanks, but the Aura isn't here yet. I'm trying to get organised while SWMBO is away for a week or two.

Basically, check for VLC app availability for that specific model of TV before you buy.
We already have an Android TV (Sony), so I've just been on the store for it and found and installed VLC.
And the TV+VLC will play the files from the HDR.
But ...
However, the playback by DLNA isn't as "nice" as playback natively, and personally I would prefer to use an HDR-FOX
Yes, it's horrible.
I could probably live with it, but this is SWMBO's box and content and she would never tolerate this level of difficulty. She'd be calling for help several times a night.

I was hoping for a reasonably slick way for this to work but it's not going to be easy.
I think I'll have to bite the bullet and do a partial hardware solution. The TV has a spare HDMI port, so I'll try and get the Aura and HDR both connected (space is a bit tight and it means running another cable which means moving a loaded bookcase ... and there aren't enough power sockets), so she can play stuff off either box in the interim.
Then over time I can hopefully copy wanted stuff over to the Aura by USB, if that can work, until the HDR is finally empty.

Then over time I can hopefully copy wanted stuff over to the Aura by USB, if that can work
But ...
The main issue is that there is no way to play recordings not made on an Aura via the usual user interface (my best guess is that this is because the Aura doesn't use sidecar files so I assume the information that would be in a sidecar file is now held in a database and there is no way to create those database entries for external recordings). You need to install a media player such as VLC on the Aura.
If I use USB to copy off the FOX and on to the Aura, where do they end up? Does it have a folder structure like the FOX?
I've had a look at the pdf manual and it seems to say nothing about copying stuff in, so I assume it's a menu item since you suggest it's possible.

(Aura arrives tomorrow, Thurs. Just had the bookcase out to run the 4th hdmi cable to the TV, so more or less ready.
The only unknown is how things will stack as the Aura, like most boxes these days, isn't nice and rectangular. Currently the FOX has the BRay player on top with the ethernet switch on top of that.)

If I use USB to copy off the FOX and on to the Aura, where do they end up? Does it have a folder structure like the FOX?
I think you might need to use an Android file manager app. I have used FTP to copy files to and from the Aura. The Aura creates pseudo folders for series. As you will need to play programmes copied to the Aura using something like VLC then as far as I know you can create whatever folders you want. Content created by the Aura will go into a single folder.

I think you might need to use an Android file manager app. I have used FTP to copy files to and from the Aura. The Aura creates pseudo folders for series. As you will need to play programmes copied to the Aura using something like VLC then as far as I know you can create whatever folders you want. Content created by the Aura will go into a single folder.
Single folder? Why is everything a step backwards these days? I've yet to encounter a box I regard as a better PVR than the HDR-Fox T2, which given its age is getting ridiculous.

Why is everything a step backwards these days?
I think it comes from the content providers, because PVRs are anathema to their advertising based financing.
They want to make it as inconvenient as possible to keep programmes for more than time-shifting periods, and keeping storage flat helps with that. Access to Freesat, Freeview, youview, etc, guides etc, by PVR manufacturers is probably conditional on such crippling.

It's why there is a drive to streaming platforms too as there they control advert delivery with no or very limited skip options.

It's a real shame I need to do this. The only reason we want to change to the Aura is that subtitle sync on the FOX, and also 1010s, is so flaky. It really messes up our viewing.
Depending on how the Aura goes with SWMBO I may well change to a newer satellite PVR as well, which obviously can't be Humax.

Single folder? Why is everything a step backwards these days?
There's nothing wrong with everything being in one pool if there are adequate methods to tag and sort things. It's an inconvenience to have content spread around when it can be sorted by date, series, or whatever... that's not to say the Aura actually does, of course!

I suspect the majority of users will think that the virtual folders created for a series are real folders. For my needs it is workable.
It could be troublesome if the disc needs repairs running on it in future, I've found running disc fix tools that it's easier when there aren't hundreds of files in a directory.

It could be troublesome if the disc needs repairs running on it in future, I've found running disc fix tools that it's easier when there aren't hundreds of files in a directory.
Is that a "thing" on an Aura (without taking the disk out, that is)?

Is that a "thing" on an Aura (without taking the disk out, that is)?
Discs failing will eventually be a thing on Aura however much Humax may wish it weren't. What tools are available to fix them is a different matter. I suspect one of the better options will be to connect it to an HDR Fox T2 running custom firmware...

Back