Playing video from Laptop on FVP-4000T

Stewart PVR

I have now replaced my PVR-2900T with a FVP-4000T. I can CAST .TS File Videos from my Laptop using Windows10. How do I select Videos from my Laptop using the FVP-4000T ?

Windows Media Player is a DLNA server. If set up correctly there should be a videos folder under This PC in File Explorer. Videos in this folder should be visible on a 4000T. From the Home screen - Media - Video

Hummm ! I'm slightly closer. I have now set Windows Media Player for Streaming. I now have the facility on the Humax for Clicking on, (WLAN, Laptop external HDD via the USB) but only Folders are being shown, no Video files? I am not familiar with WM Player. So, what next? What do I need to do to SEE Video Files from the external 1TB HDD on the Laptop? I'm told that not all Video File formats are supported by the Humax but .IS types should be ok.

You may need to check that the external drive on the laptop is included in the Windows Media video library. The HUMAX will be looking in the library folder for the files.

Yes, now you come to mention it, I have been tripped up in the past (on the few occasions I have played with this kind of thing) by the DLNA server needing to be specifically told where the share files are (or requiring that the share files are in a particular place).

The HDR-FOX (the only unit for which I have direct experience), without custom firmware, can only serve content by DLNA and only stream content from an external network server by DLNA. FTP is available but as (as standard) the on-disk recordings are encrypted, it is only useful for access to imported media that happens to be stored there (or on USB-connected storage).

The posts above (and elsewhere) indicate the 4000T has SMB support; is that for access to external file servers, external access to the internal HDD, or both? Presumably recordings are encrypted and only available in encrypted form by SMB.

Last edited:
4000/5000T Samba can be used to playback internal SD recordings or as a media player for externally stored compatible files. SD files can also be copied using ftp which removes the encryption. By default File sharing, FTP and Samba are disabled. You can also set when you want external access with the box in sby.

That makes sense if the file system itself is encrypted rather than just the individual files (although some kind of additional mechanism is then required for HiDef recordings).

You may need to check that the external drive on the laptop is included in the Windows Media video library. The HUMAX will be looking in the library folder for the files.

Thanks for your suggestion. I thought I had done that, but I'll check it out. Thanks !

Thanks for your suggestion. I thought I had done that, but I'll check it out. Thanks !
OK, The Humax 4000T can now SEE the Folders where the .TS Videos are stored, (External HDD of 1TB of the Laptop) but not showing the video files? If I knew how to send a screen shot, that would show the results, it may help? ( Not a URL Link ). As I say, I can CAST any of these Videos TO the Humax and they RUN fine !

Photos and screen grabs can be included in posts using the "upload a file" button, or (depending on operating system) simply dragged onto the post. If the image is large, choose the thumbnail insertion so that readers have the option to open it or not.

You will be able to include URLs once you have sufficient post count - I think it's five.

Not exactly the same as your problem but I had difficulty with a file I loaded onto my FVP 5000 from my PC using FTP. The file was .wtv format and it was not visible in the 5000's download folder although I could see it was there using FTP on the PC. If I edited the the filename to .mpg and transferred it again I found the 5000 could see and play the file! Interestingly the 5000 can happily play the .wtv file using DLNA to stream from the PC. I wonder if its worth renaming one of your files to .mpg and seeing if they become visible?

OK, Lets see if this works >>> The 4000T can SEE the Folders for the .TS files, but isn't displaying any !!!

Attachments

• DSCF8393 s.jpg
    DSCF8393 s.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14
  • screen 3 s.jpg
    screen 3 s.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 13
How are you connecting the laptop to the HUMAX? Are you seeing your laptop listed as a media server on the left hand side of the MEDIA screen or are you connecting via USB as an external drive? I have found that some files don't show up on external USB connected drives but do show when accessed via the media server connection. I should say that my experience is solely with my FVP-5000 but I suspect the FVP-4000 is much the same.

I think we need to know much more about how the media server is set up on the PC before this will be cracked. Screen shots of the server settings would be a good start.

How are you connecting the laptop to the HUMAX? Are you seeing your laptop listed as a media server on the left hand side of the MEDIA screen or are you connecting via USB as an external drive? I have found that some files don't show up on external USB connected drives but do show when accessed via the media server connection. I should say that my experience is solely with my FVP-5000 but I suspect the FVP-4000 is much the same.

OK, Thanks. Yes! The set-up is via Wi-Fi WLAN. That part seems to be OK. Yes! I can SEE my Laptop is set-up as an external device. I can View the Folders that have the .TS recordings ( from the previous 2900) but unable to view the files in them ?
I can CAST any of the .TS Videos to the 4000T and that is OK ! I'm very perplexed indeed !

Back