Possible hardware fault? Remote not functioning

midinotes

I purchased a Grade A HDR Fox T2 1TB recorder a couple of weeks ago. It's been fantastic so far, no problems at all and recording quality is amazing. However last night I noticed the remote started to become very unreliable, failing to recognise any commands. I replaced the batteries with brand new ones, checked of course the PVR button was pressed and tried powering down and restarting the recorder. On occasions it would work but then stop for a bit when trying to navigate the guide or change channels. I am pretty sure its not the commander as the red PVR light flashes and I can control my TV, DVD etc with it. Sometimes I then noticed if I used the front box controls to change channel, the remote would then begin working for a short time. Other times I had to get very close to the box for it to work, but now nothing appears to work. I have tried resetting the box to factory settings (when the remote did manage to work) and retuning. I also tried downgrading the firmware from the 1.02.32 supplied to 1.02.29, but this has not made any difference.
I can only assume there is a hardware failure in the box (IR receiver), seems rather strange for this to happen but reading through comments on google and this forum maybe not so uncommon.
Unless anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what to do, I guess I'll have to return it for a replacement next week. I am pretty sure I've exhausted all options!

Thanks
Simon

Possible causes include the IR receiver being covered by something, check that there is nothing in the way, the IR receiver is HERE, also problems can occur if the room that you Humax is in has infra-red interference from other objects e.g. some low energy light bulbs have been known to produce IR interference. However, the bad news is that it is possible your Humax was returned because of this problem and not fixed by Humax before supplying it to you

I can only assume there is a hardware failure in the box (IR receiver), seems rather strange for this to happen but reading through comments on google and this forum maybe not so uncommon.
I wouldn't say not uncommon, but we have had several reports of IR receiver issues so perhaps not as uncommon as we would like. General advice about RC in Things Every... (click) section 13, and reported customer returns HERE (click) - although you have probably already seen them.

Thanks both. Managed at least to download my recordings via FTP to the computer from the box. Will need to explore options of getting the HD recordings off though, Foxy looks the best bet. I have investigated all possible interference problems and held the controller inches from the front of the box, to no avail. Guess its a return... Do Humax collect the old one and drop off a replacement or will I have to wait?

Drat, I didn't realise that copying them via FTP would not decrypt them... Oh well will have to see if I can get them on to an external USB harddrive attached to the box.

... Do Humax collect the old one and drop off a replacement or will I have to wait?

They deliver replacement and take faulty one back at same time. Using special seals.

When you contact Humax they'll tell you the process. If I remember rightly you retain your remote - though since your fault relates to remote signal problems ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Drat, I didn't realise that copying them via FTP would not decrypt them... Oh well will have to see if I can get them on to an external USB harddrive attached to the box.
After copying to a USB drive you can FTP directly from it to your P.C., the USB device will be displayed as 'drive1' at the same level as 'My Video'

Thanks Ezra, that will save me searching for a linux format utility for my mac! So glad I've discovered hummy.tv

Not an issue. Use the Humax to format an external drive to Ext3, copy the recordings onto the external drive to decrypt them, FTP them from the external drive to the Mac. It's going to take a long time though, and actually if all you are trying to do is save them to put on a replacement Humax, the is no need to move them off the external drive - either play them from there on the new Humax or copy them back on again. They have to be decrypted though, which you can only do with the original Humax.

The only difficulty is HiDef recordings, for which you will need to FTP off the .hmt files, run them through Foxy (which requires a Windows PC), and put them back before copying off the recordings.

Why not use the external drive as is? If it happens to be formatted FAT32 you can, but only for recordings less than 4GB in size. Most likely the drive will be NTFS though, and the Humax won't write to that.

I have recently discovered that if I hold the remote control so it is touching the front plate (where the receiver is), I can manage to operate the box... so I would definitely say the IR receiver must be shot. At least we can watch what is recorded until Humax can replace it. Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have formatted an external drive from the Humax as Linux and as suggested, I can ftp via the box from this drive to my mac. Will probably not bother trying to back up the HD recordings as I've only had the box a couple of weeks so nothing too precious.

Back