Problem with Doctors on BBC1

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is anyone else having a problem recording Doctors on BBC1 at 13:45 SD? Monday's recording stopped after 5 minutes, today (Tuesday) it managed 10 minutes. I was playing a recording at the time but no other activity.

Probably playing silly buggers with the crids

It would be nice to have a utility that showed the crid at different points in a recording

At least two reports of the same on Digital Spy (4 min and 9 min claimed so not you) ;) Albeit one was on 106 HD and "prior to the changes" then on 101 BBC One South HD.

If so that likely points to a playout "error" on all BBC Ones?

NB likely important to note the BBC One Region/Nation as well as SD/HD if, for example, a late opt back might be the cause if anyone reports the issue to them?

BBC region studios opt into and out of the network sustaining feed seamlessly. Thus you get the local presenter able to be inserted into the 6 O'Clock News with a 'local headline, coming up later' type bit...
They should opt back at the end credits/trails and usually do so.

Once upon a time the circuits all went through the regional studios. Now, I understand, the switching is done remotely in the Code & Mux centres, but under local studio control, and sound/pictures will be mixed in their studio control rooms at times.

It's possible that any opt into or back to network might disrupt a transport stream? I was 'thinking out loud'. But other evidence now points to the Network Playout being at fault, so now a very red herring.

(In olden analogue days one could sometimes observe a timing issue where the picture shifted when the region opted the studio in/out).

BBC region studios opt into and out of the network sustaining feed seamlessly. Thus you get the local presenter able to be inserted into the 6 O'Clock News with a 'local headline, coming up later' type bit...
They should opt back at the end credits/trails and usually do so.

Once upon a time the circuits all went through the regional studios. Now, I understand, the switching is done remotely in the Code & Mux centres, but under local studio control, and sound/pictures will be mixed in their studio control rooms at times.

It's possible that any opt into or back to network might disrupt a transport stream? I was 'thinking out loud'. But other evidence now points to the Network Playout being at fault, so now a very
Thanks, it is interesting to have a bit of insight into how things work. As regards the recording problem; everything has been OK for the last two days.

Back