Problems accessing Humax from Windows computer

I have:
  • A HUMAX FOX-HDR T2 running customised firmware version 3.13 (build 4028)
  • A desktop computer running Windows 10
  • A laptop computer running Windows 10
On the laptop I can go to Windows Explorer and type the IP address of the Humax into the title bar, whereupon I see I directory listing of the Humax.

If I do the same thing on the desktop I get an error message. I've attached the Windows Network Diagnostics report as a pdf.

Given that this works OK on the laptop machine, I've assumed I'm looking for something wrong on the desktop machine. Can anyone suggest what it might be?

[For the sake of completeness I should say that the computers both have a 192.168.76.xxx address, and the Humax has a 192.168.20.xxx address, but just to repeat, the laptop can get to the humax just fine so I don't think it's an issue with my VLANs.]

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• report.pdf
    333.1 KB · Views: 7
By default Windows 10 disables support for SMB1 file sharing which is all the Humax natively supports
You can either:
  1. Reenable SMB1 on windows, google for instrcuctions
  2. Install the Beta test Samba 3.6.25-1 package on the Humax see Beta participation details

Last edited:
To access the HDR-FOX CF SMB server (provided by the samba package) requires using the SMB1 protocol. WIndows 10 has SMB1/2 turned off by default, and requires SMB3 compatibility. I presume you have enabled SMB1 on the notebook but not on the desktop.

I also presume you're not really using a "laptop" in this day and age! Laptops were big and heavy, which is why notebooks took over.

Last edited:
Please could people stop posting "question" threads rather than "discussion" threads. I know it sounds like a good idea on the face of it, but in the vast majority of cases a solution is arrived at through a process of discussion, and is very rarely self-contained.

Voting for one post with the "best" solution, and thus raising it to the top of the thread, will destroy the conversation flow and relegate the contributions which produced that solution. For example, I could down-vote MymsMan's post and ensure it appears further down, but then the conversation is garbled.

I believe only a mod can change the thread type once it is posted.

Last edited:
The package version is 3.6.25-1 but for reasons that are unclear and designed to confuse it only delivers SMB level 2 support
My referring to it as SMB3 just increases the confusion - sorry ;)

Okay, so SMB2 is available as standard. That's my misunderstanding because we've always talked about SMB1 and SMB3.

Voting for one post with the "best" solution, and thus raising it to the top of the thread, will destroy the conversation flow and relegate the contributions which produced that solution. For example, I could down-vote MymsMan's post and ensure it appears further down, but then the conversation is garbled.
Ha! Famous last words. Here's an example of one post turning out to be the best (assuming it solves the OP's problem)!

Yes, I feared that might be the case. We've seen this kind of thing reported before, and I have also experienced one HDR showing up but not another (apparently identically configured). AFAICR there has never been an explanation.

You could try the beta samba package, to change something (anything!) in the networking environment. I fall back to work-arounds, particularly FTP.

Thanks. Just to be clear, am I right that the beta samba package takes the approach of implementing SMB3 on the HDR rather than trying to implement SMB1 on the computer?

Do you Have "Reconnect at restart selected " for any drive mappings to the HUMAX ?
I find It fails to reconnect and all attempts to create new connections fail until i have removed all trace of the previous connection

Do you Have "Reconnect at restart selected " for any drive mappings to the HUMAX ?
I find It fails to reconnect and all attempts to create new connections fail until i have removed all trace of the previous connection
I do have a drive mapped but it doesn't work. I thought I'd start simply by just typing the IP address into windows explorer (although the drive IS still mapped). Could the drive mapping be interfering even with this process? Should I unmap the drive?

Thanks. Just to be clear, am I right that the beta samba package takes the approach of implementing SMB3 on the HDR rather than trying to implement SMB1 on the computer?
No it implements SMB2 despite the package version number

Even using the new package I still have the reconnect problem noted above

You may also want to install the wsdd package to reenable network discovery of the humax But it Is a bit flaky

I do have a drive mapped but it doesn't work. I thought I'd start simply by just typing the IP address into windows explorer (although the drive IS still mapped). Could the drive mapping be interfering even with this process? Should I unmap the drive?
Yes unnmap and then try again Without the reconnect option

Well....
I unmapped the drive. Before trying to remap it I tried typing the IP address into Windows Explorer and it worked straight away.

Having done that I right-clicked on the "My Video" directory and clicked "Map Network Drive". I chose a letter and unticked "Reconnect at sign-in". "Connect using different credentials" was unticked and I left it that way.
1652956624393.png
Clicked "Finish" and the drive mapping seems to work!

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on it....

[Full details of process added for the benefit of others (and myself!) in future...]

I did a bit of googling and it appears to be well known problem with a range of workarounds

The one that appears to be closest to our issues is http://woshub.com/could-not-reconnect-mapped-network-drives/#h2_4

I have tried added the ProviderFlags key to the registry and rebooted Windows and the drive reconnected correctly,
I need to try a few more tests like rebooting PC while the Humax is not active and restarting the humax

Back