Progress of using 4TB WD Purple drive to replace original drive

I have the following installed on my HDR FOX T2, eg I think the virtual-disk2 affects the designation of my hard drive to /dev/sdb
I find that dubious. The HDD should be loading before virtual-disk2 can load (unless that's one of the few packages stored in NVRAM, and even then my HDD is always sda. I think you need to look at how long the HDD is taking to mount.

Does everything work OK with the HDD as sdb?

So far it seems to work ok. I do get occasional lock ups (on average 1 or 2 a month) but I have no idea what causes them!
Random lockups are, unfortunately, common on the Humax and unless they become much more frequent are unlikely to be related to disk problems

Use of the portal is almost guaranteed to cause crashes
I haven't seen (noticed) previous reports of problems with .mp4 playback

I don't, because mine does it too. The virtual-disk2 drive is /dev/sda and the hard disk is /dev/sdb.
Bloody hell, so are mine! I take it all back. :oops:

I never used to use virtual-disk, I used to just settle for a real UPD permanently fitted, and I only recently re-discovered I had (at some time in the past) adopted virtual-disk2 when it solved the problems. I had forgotten all about that, and have been used to the HDD being sda as a result.

I never used to use virtual-disk, I used to just settle for a real UPD permanently fitted, and I only recently re-discovered I had (at some time in the past) adopted virtual-disk2 when it solved the problems. I had forgotten all about that, and have been used to the HDD being sda as a result.
OTOH here is HD-Fox T2 with a 3.5" SATA (ex-Sky, I dare say) disk and wifi dongle connected via a 4 port passive hub, and virtual-disk2, and the SATA is sda.

The logic is that the Humax binary discovers the devices, mounting disks that it understands, and each device triggers the /etc/mdev/run-and-gun script, which mounts GPT disks and, if it finds a /mod filesystem, launches the CF using it. So the drive names result from a race within the Humax s/w.

I think my main difficulty is not being used to the Linux way of things. In Windows, the drive is paramount, but in Linux it seems not to care where something is stored, the file system extends over the whole storage... so sda or sdb really hardly matters. That might be why I'm getting so confused trying to duplicate a Linux installation between disks!

Attachments

• Humax HDR Fox T2 (HDR1) - Diagnostics.pdf
    179.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot diag1a.png
    Screenshot diag1a.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot diag1b.png
    Screenshot diag1b.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for the progress report. It seems to me that we can add the Western Digital Purple surveillance drives to the list of suitable drives for use in a Humax.

Still working ok

Attachments

• Humax HDR Fox T2 - Diagnostics.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 5
  • diag1a.png
    diag1a.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 6
  • diag1b.png
    diag1b.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
Back