PVR-9150T losing memory when unplugged

chrisg

Hi all,

My parents have a Humax PVR-9150T which is several years old now but has been rock solid for them.

They turn it off at the mains each night, and back on again the next day (I don't think they trust electricity...it might get up to mischief while they sleep!).

Suddenly the Humax has started 'forgetting' all its series linked programs when it is switched back on. Recorded programs on the hard drive are all fine, but upcoming shows preprogrammed ready to record are lost.

Once the power is restored, shows can be programmed back in and they remain in place until the power is turned off again, at which point they are lost.

Does the Humax store its upcoming shows in flash memory, which is being lost when the power is turned off, or does it store them on the hard drive?

I'm suspecting an internal battery may have gone as this seems to fit the behaviour, but I'm surprised upcoming programs would be stored in memory and not on the drive?

Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on this before I start taking it apart looking for batteries?

Cheers
Chris

Models without a HDD are also able to store reminder schedules, so your analysis appears correct. Later models use non-volatile storage, but it is possible yours has battery-backed CMOS storage.

I also had to cope with somebody of the older generation who defaulted to turning everything off - my solution was to put covers over switches and cover up pilot lights so that nothing looked on.

Models without a HDD are also able to store reminder schedules, so your analysis appears correct. Later models use non-volatile storage, but it is possible yours has battery-backed CMOS storage.

It is definitely in non volatile RAM on any of the 9xxx series. I would love to know what is different between the 9200 (which doesn't suffer from this problem) and the 9150/9300 which do.

A relatives 9150 has also started doing a similar thing although they leave there's powered on it forgets the schedule if it is in standby for anything more than a few minutes. Would be interested to know if the OP ever found a battery or figured out what was wrong with it?

Hi there,

I did open up the 9150 to see and couldn't find a battery. I suspect scheduling is all in non volatile ram as mentioned above, which makes fixing this pretty much a no go.

To be honest we have tried leaving the box connected to mains power and this has resolved the problem for us. Even if put into standby overnight the schedules were all there in the morning. It's only a total disconnect from the mains that drops the schedule.

I hope your experience isn't a sign of things to come for us too!

Sorry I can't be more helpful here. It's a very frustrating issue on these (and seemingly other) models.

Hi there,

I did open up the 9150 to see and couldn't find a battery. I suspect scheduling is all in non volatile ram as mentioned above, which makes fixing this pretty much a no go.

To be honest we have tried leaving the box connected to mains power and this has resolved the problem for us. Even if put into standby overnight the schedules were all there in the morning. It's only a total disconnect from the mains that drops the schedule.

I hope your experience isn't a sign of things to come for us too!

Sorry I can't be more helpful here. It's a very frustrating issue on these (and seemingly other) models.

Thanks for replying. I found a thread on DS about the 9300 which has the same problem but there was an interesting post which claimed that it was noted that the cooling fan was not operating and after replacing the fan it fixed the problem:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79660536&postcount=15

It may be worth investigating. Perhaps there is a bug in the firmware which loads defaults if it detects a hardware problem (such as a failed fan)?

Back