Question about network settings.

Nosferatu

Member
Hi guys,

I changed my network address a while ago for a few minutes and then changed it back - since then part of the humax box took the subnet settings and wont give them up - shown in the images below- the requests fail because the address no longer exists. I've narrowed it down to MediaTomb I think and turning off the service stops it, but can anyone tell me where I can reset or edit the network settings? -- thanks

2-jpg.5319


1.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
OP
N

Nosferatu

Member
Having double checked - I'm not 100% sure it's MediaTomb ... but I've checked Samba config also and that appears fine.
 

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Annoyingly - it is actually connected to wifi on http://192.168.0.41/ -- yet it's still trying to connect to 192.0.2.100 .... not sure how changing DHCP on a working connection is going to fix this.
The Humax default addresses are 192.0.2.100 (Ethernet) and 192.0.2.200 (WiFi), so if you see these come up you know the DHCP failed at boot.
So it's not picking up the WiFi dongle. I expect the Menu >> Settings >> Internet Setting dialogue doesn't mention Configure Wi-Fi.
 
OP
N

Nosferatu

Member
Sorry Black Hole, let me confirm

The hardware is fully connected and accessible via WIFI on 192.168.0.41 this works perfectly. However something is constantly trying to contact 192.0.2.100 over wifi and it never used to do this.

I do have a wifi repeater that is on 192.0.1.100 and for a matter of minutes I changed my IP range to 192.0.2.x and then changed it back to 1.x

I didn't realise the default DHCP for Ethernet was 192.0.2.100 however I've never used an ethernet cable with it -- is there any other service that could be requesting that address?
 

/df

Well-Known Member
I'm not so sure.

As already pointed out, 192.0.2.100 is the Humax default (no DHCP) IP address for a wired connection.

Also, we've established elsewhere that the domain suffix .bad is set in the resolv.conf by the Humax settop binary.

What is in /mod/mediatomb/config/mediatomb.html (use WebIf>Diagnostics>File Editor, eg)?
 

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
As already pointed out, 192.0.2.100 is the Humax default (no DHCP) IP address for a wired connection.
I agree it's a coincidence, and I don't like coincidences, but I've never known the HDR-FOX try to use more than one IP address. I don't know Mediatomb though.
 
OP
N

Nosferatu

Member
Hi - thanks for that thought

Code:
<html><head><meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0;URL=http://192.168.0.41:49152/"></head><body bgcolor="#dddddd"></body></html>

I turned off the services below - wiped pihole stats, restarted the Humax and then wiped the stats again. The requests are greatly reduced but still exist (18 after about 10 mins idle) if the box is completely off the requests stop.


3.jpg

Do you think
Code:
"
OK (forwarded to rpz-public-resolver1.rrdns.pch.net#53)
SECURE
"

Means anything?
 

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
However something is constantly trying to contact 192.0.2.100 over wifi and it never used to do this.
Do you mean something in the 'Fox is sending out packets addressed to 192.0.2.100? As the default address for Ethernet, that is what gets assigned as the 'Foxes network address if connected by Ethernet and the unit is set to DHCP and the DHCP request fails to receive a response from the DHCP server (usually the router). The 'Fox isn't going to send out network packets to 192.0.2.100 unless it thinks there is a device on the network with that address.

CF tries to address itself (via the network) for decryption (the normal "self" loopback address 127.0.0.1 doesn't work for hardware decryption, which uses the DLNA server).

If you haven't done so already, try a reboot in case something has its nickers in a twist.

If that doesn't cure it, uninstall Mediatomb to rule that out.
 
OP
N

Nosferatu

Member
So since I posted that and turned off the above services - it's sitting at 30 requests and seems to have stopped - I'd rather not have so much off though.

The 'Fox isn't going to send out network packets to 192.0.2.100 unless it thinks there is a device on the network with that address.

That I think is what is happening - this didn't happen until I briefly changed the network to 192.168.0.2.x and then back again - I think something such as a service still thinks 192.168.0.2.100 still exists on the network - but my whole network is back to 192.168.0.1.x I've seen it in the past where a windows 10 device or a VPN continues to flood requests to devices or locations but in this case it all stops when the box is off - in the last 24 hours there is about 7000 requests, but again since I turned everything off so far there is now only 30. I'm going to restart with all services back on except media tomb and leave it for a while to see what happens.
 

xyz321

Well-Known Member
The original post shows that something is querying DNS to lookup the name associated with IP 192.0.2.100. It does not show that it is trying to connect to that IP. You could try running tcpdump to see what connections it is attempting.
 

/df

Well-Known Member
When the MediaTomb server starts it writes the file I asked about including the current IP address. From the posted text, that's clearly worked as intended.

The file is then used to generate the item inserted in the WebIf main menu. This seems a poor solution and if there were many complaints about MediaTomb it would be good to rework it. As it's no longer supported upstream, it could be upgraded to its fork/replacement. I found MediaTomb too obscure and built a version of MiniDLNA.
 
Top