re freeview radio, why are repeats being recorded?

wiab4355

re freeview radio, why are repeats being recorded? It's only been happening about a week so probably nothing to do with the box, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

It's about the CRID codes attached to the broadcasts. These identify whether a programme is part of a series and whether it is a repeat. If the broadcasters are not careful with them, you get the sort of thing you have observed. What typically happens (particularly on radio) is a "series" continues to be recorded when the actual programme transmitted in that weekly slot has moved onto a different series.

The HDR-FOX implements "record series" by:
  1. If the S-CRID matches, check the P-CRID;
  2. If the P-CRID matches programmes already logged as recorded in the series, ignore it, otherwise record it;
  3. If no S-CRID matches have occurred in 3 months, delete the recording schedule item.
You can view the programme and series CRID of a recording or a future programme via the WebIF, or by turning them on in the Humax menus: see Things Every... (click) section 9.

Last edited:
It's about the CRID codes attached to the broadcasts. These identify whether a programme is part of a series and whether it is a repeat. If the broadcasters are not careful with them, you get the sort of thing you have observed. What typically happens (particularly on radio) is a "series" continues to be recorded when the actual programme transmitted in that weekly slot has moved onto a different series.
While the record request for a series CRID is in the schedule the HDR-FOX T2 remembers which individual programme CRID and will check for duplication to stop itself recording a repeat with the same programme episode for that series CRID.

re freeview radio, why are repeats being recorded? It's only been happening about a week so probably nothing to do with the box, but I thought I'd ask anyway!
I likely cause for this is that in your schedule you have two or more requests to record the series in your schedule. Check that you haven't got two series request in the schedule for the same "series". If you have then the HDR-FOX T2 will attempt to record both series broadcasts.

Also if you have deleted and then recreated the seires schedule request this will result in the HDR-FOX T2 loosing its memory of what it has recorded and depending on the broadcasters use of the series' metadata can result in repeats being recorded as well for those programmes already recorded.
If nether of those supply to you then some examples or examining the CRIDs yourself may help.

[One] likely cause for this is that in your schedule you have two or more requests to record the series in your schedule. Check that you haven't got two series request in the schedule for the same "series". If you have then the HDR-FOX T2 will attempt to record both series broadcasts.
Indeed; R4 tends to allocate different S-CRIDs to different broadcast times of the same programme, so it is possible to record multiple instances by setting a series recording for more than one instance. I do that for ISIHAC, to ensure maximum reliability.

You can tell if you have: there will be separate entries in Guide >> Schedule (yellow). Recordings scheduled in the next week with the same S-CRID will all be listed under one entry (accessed by highlighting the entry and pressing the right cursor).

While the record request for a series CRID is in the schedule the HDR-FOX T2 remembers which individual programme CRID and will check for duplication to stop itself recording a repeat with the same programme episode for that series CRID.
The Humax only remembers 5 episodes for duplicate elimination which can be insufficient for daily or more frequent broadcasts.

Thanks for all the replies.

So basically I can't do anything about this; it's to do with the Beeb?

I timed "The Now Show" for Friday at 1830, which recorded OK, but it also recorded the Radio 4 Extra version on late Monday, about 11ish.

Also "Reluctant Persuaders", recorded today at 1830, apparently also set to record tomorrow morning at 0530 (but not by me! GREMLINS)

Also "Reluctant Persuaders", recorded today at 1830, apparently also set to record tomorrow morning at 0530 (but not by me! GREMLINS)
1830 1/11/18 R4 - P-CRID: fp.bbc.co.uk/m/LBU; S-CRID: fp.bbc.co.uk/PEKIM0
0530 2/11/18 R4X - P-CRID: fp.bbc.co.uk/m/INN; S-CRID: fp.bbc.co.uk/PEKIM0

So the matching S-CRID and unique P-CRID explains why they are both set to record. Note the synopses indicate they are different episodes.

Yes; the 0530 recording is last week's (25/10) 1830 episode.

So still nothing to be done by me, right?

No, nothing to be done. If you still have last week's episode, check the CRID - the new one should not be set to record, unless they've given it a unique CRID instead of the same CRID.

Back