Reasons for a 0 minute recording fail ?

philbean

I seem to be getting much more of these lately. Is it always a broadcaster issue or maybe the slow decline of my aging box ?

There was one day after the Queen had died where pretty much every recording that day failed.. which after an initial panic I put down the the EPG had just melted down.. but still now I'm getting 2 or 3 a week.
They used to be quite rare.

It is not a fault in the Humax.

I had two last night - I had F1 scheduled to record on Channel 4 SD but it didn't start to record, schedchk noticed it wasn't recording and rescheduled it on Channel 4+1 but that didn't record either. Programme was being broadcast and I noticed the problem just in time to start watching live from the formation lap on +1 so didn't miss anything significant.
I didn't attempt any diagnostics to check whether the crid being broadcast was different from the one in the EPG but is suspect that was the problem.

My scheduled F1 recording on CH4 HD also failed.
Channel 4 seem to have EPG issues at the moment. Neither of my HDRs has any info for Channel 4 or Channel HD beyond 07:10 on Saturday.

See Things Every... (click) section 3:

The problem is that if the broadcasters send the wrong signals, at the wrong time, or not at all, or if the programme shifts by so much that the HD/HDR-FOX has given up looking for the signals, it records the wrong thing or nothing at all.

If you try to play a recording which failed in this way, the on-screen message says "failed to track". That means the expected programme ID code (CRID - see Glossary) did not occur within the valid timing window.

In case anyone doesn't realise, as I stated in Things Every..., by using auto-padding instead of Accurate Recording (!), you get recordings based on the EPG schedule instead of relying on the CRIDs. With standard firmware you have to plump for one or the other, but the custom firmware allows for mix-and-match setting of padding for some recordings and AR for others (recording by recording, or preset according to channel), so if there are routine issues with AR (or padding) the multimode package offers a work-around.

I also lost todays Countdown so have (temporarily) moved all of the Four family of channels to padding, hopefully normal service will be restored soon

...but today, problems (although probably nothing to do with AR):

The recording is shown as 30 minutes long. When play is attempted, "Recording failed: the programme appears not to have been broadcast. Do you want to play this file?"

The time bar shows only 30 minutes worth, and at the 30 minute point the playback goes blank... but then resumes and completes the full 50 minutes but without trick-play (no seek, only FF/REW).

I think this is a temporary loss of signal.

The time bar shows only 30 minutes worth, and at the 30 minute point the playback goes blank... but then resumes and completes the full 50 minutes but without trick-play (no seek, only FF/REW).
That might be caused by a truncated .nts file. It might be worth creating a new one using sidecar.

Looks like I am also seeing this with DVROnTime. All c4 and c4 HD recordings failed last night (about 1 min long) so switched the channels to padding for now. Any ideas if 4seven is affected too?

Just wondering if anyone switched back to accurate recording for C4? If you have are they back to their normal levels of reliability now?

Back