Recommendations please

makem

I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 with Customised Firmware installed.

In May I will buy a smart 3D TV and I want another Humax with which I can use the Customised Firmware.

I see in John Lewis there are 8 available and I would appreciate help in deciding which would suit best.

There are only two of us and we don't record a lot but sometimes find clashes when we would like to record 3 or more programs at the same or overlapping times. We never save any of the downloads once seen.

I occasionally upload movies to the Humax and the current TV which has a USB HD attached.

We travel often and want the recording to look after themselves. We have Freeview, Freesat and Virgin Cable TV available although the Virgin box is never turned on.

On the Customised Firmware - would I be able to use two instances of the Remote Scheduling?

There are only two Humax products the run Custom Firmware, the HDR-FOX T2 (Freeview box) and the Humax Foxsat HDR (Freesat box). it is (I understand) possible to have a separate Remote Schedule account for each HDR Fox T2

I'm wondering if the advantage of the Customise Firmware out weighs the benefits of the newer models for our needs. There are a few HDR-FOX T2's left @ £130, some £100 less than the newer models.

The Freeview output is split to the Humax and TV at the moment and I would need to split 3 ways with another HDR-FOX T2. However, the Freesat output only feeds the TV so it may be better to consider splitting Freesat.

The (non-Custom Firmware) alternatives to the HDR-Fox T2 (Freeview box) are the Humax DTR-T1000/1010 and the Humax 2000T. The DTR-T1000/1010 offers extra catch-up service (of no use at all if you are away from home a lot), it also has many disadvantages. The 2000T is very similar to the HDR-Fox T2 and is a cost reduced version of it, if I had to choose between the two, I would go for the 2000T, but my first choice would be the HDR-Fox T2 @ £130.

You could daisy chain the aerial feeds to two HDR-Fox T2s as long as HDR-Fox T2s have the power save option turned off, e.g. :-

Aerial feed to input of HDR-fox T1 #1
output of HDR-fox T1 #1 to input of HDR-fox T1 #2
output of HDR-fox T1 #2 to input of TV

I'm wondering if the advantage of the Customise Firmware out weighs the benefits of the newer models for our needs.
Yes (but that's just my opinion!).

Have a nose around the 2000T section of the forum, there is plenty not to like (eg: no aerial pass-through in standby, no streaming of HiDef at all...). Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

the Freesat output only feeds the TV so it may be better to consider splitting Freesat.
You can't just 'split' a satellite feed by 'daisy chaining'. You will need two more feeders from your LNB on the dish. This is not strictly true, but the alternative method is much more expensive.

You could daisy chain the aerial feeds to two HDR-Fox T2s as long as HDR-Fox T2s have the power save option turned off, e.g. :-

Aerial feed to input of HDR-fox T1 #1
output of HDR-fox T1 #1 to input of HDR-fox T1 #2
output of HDR-fox T1 #2 to input of TV
It's a much better idea to use a passive "1 in-3 out" splitter than daisy chaining. They can be had for a few quid.

It's a much better idea to use a passive "1 in-3 out" splitter than daisy chaining. They can be had for a few quid.

Yes I already have two of those and thought I would use one if I went the Freesat way.

Just spoken to Richer Sounds and they have an ex-display one left (£130) but the remote is lost. Talking to the sales man about the proposed setup he said he has never heard of anyone with two identical units. In fact he says the remotes will interfere with each other.

He recommended the DTR T1010 for which a software patch is due out. This patch will install software to give the facilities of the HDR FOX T2. Apparently users wat the YouView but don't want to lose the facilities of the HDR FOX T2.

Does the software patch make it possible to use the Custom Firmware and just what is missing from the DTR T1010 as it stands?

I didn't ask but I presume those remotes would not clash.

Nonsense. I have two HDR units sat under my TV both working independently. You can program the remote modes no problem.

Talking to the sales man about the proposed setup he said he has never heard of anyone with two identical units. In fact he says the remotes will interfere with each other.
He doesn't know what he's talking about.
He recommended the DTR T1010 for which a software patch is due out. This patch will install software to give the facilities of the HDR FOX T2.
I don't know anything about those, but I would suggest his knowledge of when a software patch is due out and what it's going to do is somewhat optimistic. Believe it when you see it.
Does the software patch make it possible to use the Custom Firmware...
Not a hope.

Just spoken to Richer Sounds and they have an ex-display one left (£130) but the remote is lost. Talking to the sales man about the proposed setup he said he has never heard of anyone with two identical units. In fact he says the remotes will interfere with each other.......

Hi makem

A number of people here (including me) have more than one T2 boxes.

To change the remote control code see here http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Fixes_/_Work_Arounds_for_Known_Bugs#Multiple_Humax_Remotes

makem said:
He recommended the DTR T1010 for which a software patch is due out. This patch will install software to give the facilities of the HDR FOX T2.
There may well be an update pending, but are Youview really going to open up their platform and allow the things you can do on a HDR-FOX? Sounds like salesman's BS to me.

Wallace is spot on: there are six different sets of remote codes for the HDR-FOX. Brian might have had six units going in the same room at once: I have had up to four going when doing some testing:)

£130 for a display model does not sound like a great deal. Humax direct have them for £139 (plus £6 shipping, I think) and this will have a 1 year guarantee and a brand new remote etc. The cheapest I have seen an official remote recently is £23.97 on eBay.

Yes, I came across the £139 one but it said -G and Grade A so I ignored it.

What do they mean?

EDIT: Found Grade A meaning

They are refurbished units with one years warranty rather that two, otherwise exactly the same. The Richer sounds man is talking crap, a patch to enable the HDR-Fox T2 features would be against the YouView spec.

A missing remote is not a big deal, but get a Grade A from Humax Direct in preference to an ex-display with no remote (unless it's very cheap, they might take £90 for it).

Black Hole said:
A missing remote is not a big deal
True but, unless you already have a spare or a programmable one, it will add a minimum of £24 to the cost. This makes the Richer sounds £130 display model £154. Add in a new generic HDMI lead and the Richer price is more than £10 higher than getting one from Humax.

Any idea what the HDR-FOX T2 '-G' means?

If it is the same as a standard HDR-FOX T2 then I will but from Humax today.

Back