Recorded programme folder paths

MikeSh

Somewhere I saw a post or note regarding the syntax for folder paths if you want to change the default target location for a scheduled recording, but despite searching in the forum, CF notes and wiki I can't refind it. (Generally a search for something like 'path' seems to bring up dozens of pages of everything but what I want.)

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Also what constraints are there on folder name characters as I'm also using Flatten?

Thanks but no; I found Series Filer but it doesn't look quite the thing.
If you go into Scheduled Events using the PC then each event has an option in the 'More' section to Change Folder. What I'd like to do is create a fixed folder for a person, bounded with [] so Flatten doesn't delete it, and then use that Change Folder option to send certain recordings to that folder. However, I'm not sure of the syntax or if you can use [] in that option (I've seen something about special characters + HDR = bleurgh).

I think that you are referring to a future (Non-series-filer) package that af123 talked about HERE, it hasn't been generated yet as far as I know

Somewhere I saw a post or note regarding the syntax for folder paths if you want to change the default target location for a scheduled recording, but despite searching in the forum, CF notes and wiki I can't refind it. (Generally a search for something like 'path' seems to bring up dozens of pages of everything but what I want.)

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Also what constraints are there on folder name characters as I'm also using Flatten?
I believe you are referring to the "Change Folder" option in the Scheduled Events section of the WebIF. The "more" button at the right of any existing scheduled series recording has the change folder option.

All you need to do is change the string that appears in the edit box to what you want, spaces are allowed and some (but not all) punctuation. A folder name beginning with "[" will be ignored by flatten (and other auto processing, although that can be over-ridden via the WebIF settings), or you can pre-create the folder and mark it "no flatten" in the WebIF options. If the folder does not exist at the time the recording is due to start, it will be created for you (but that does not give you the chance to set the WebIF no-flatten flag).

The folder change will not be acted on until after the next system restart, you will be offered a forced restart but unless it is urgent it is better to dismiss that and let the system restart in its normal operations. You cannot set a recording folder for individual recordings or manual timer recordings.

Doesn't the Change Folder option only work for series recordings? I'm sure I tried to use it for a Movies folder (so they were all one off events) but it didn't work.

Yes, as I said.
I believe you are referring to the "Change Folder" option in the Scheduled Events section of the WebIF. The "more" button at the right of any existing scheduled series recording has the change folder option...

You cannot set a recording folder for individual recordings or manual timer recordings.
The Humax firmware does not expect to record a one-off to a folder, so does not. The anticipated classifier package (or as EP insists non-series-filer :rolleyes:) will provide for sending individual recordings to specific folders based on genre or some key word in the title or synopsis, and will also act on series recordings which end up in My Video because of flatten.

Only if the package included " also work with flattened series recordings", I don't think af123 confirmed that it would. 'classifier' is too vague in my opinion

Some effort would need to be made to stop it acting on flattened series recordings, the natural function is that it will (and it is likely that anyone using flatten and classifier will want exactly that). I am not at all sure it is possible to tell that a recording has been made as part of a series once it is divorced from its series folder, so once it ends up in My Video it will be treated the same as a one-off.

I fail to see what is vague about "classifier", because that is exactly what it will do. Any other word to describe the same would be a synonym, or multiple words where one will do. Besides, sceptic's post 8 (your ref) was clearly meant in jest (as per the emoticon). I could change my references to "proposed future package of unknown title intended to classify otherwise unfiled recordings into subject folders", but frankly as a name "classifier" cuts it for the time being.

I believe you are referring to the "Change Folder" option in the Scheduled Events section of the WebIF. ........
That's correct and thanks for the information about the syntax, etc. I'll give it a try now :)

I'm not planning to try this, but could one also use sub-folders? What I plan is to send several series recordings to the folder "[Hers]", so would it be possible to send some to, for example, "[Hers]/Dramas". Again, I think I've read somewhere that sub-folders are a problem, though I've noticed that they get created and eventually deleted by Undelete in the Deleted Items folder, so can't be too horrific.

No, it doesn't work. I can't see how classifier could solve that one either.

Perhaps it's time for a redirect option in the WebIF as an alternative to "change folder" - the idea being that a dot file gets added to an existing folder containing a pointer to the ultimate destination for any recording that lands there. This is not the same as series-filer or classifier, and would be a folder option in the WebIF media browser rather than an option in the schedule browser.

I would vote for non-series-filer as it describes the intended function perfectly.:)

I believe you are referring to the "Change Folder" option in the Scheduled Events section of the WebIF. The "more" button at the right of any existing scheduled series recording has the change folder option.

You cannot set a recording folder for individual recordings or manual timer recordings.

(My bold)

That bold bit has had me foxed for the last few days.

I'd forgotten about it and actually returned to this thread to ask where I was going wrong, whereupon I was reminded :oops: .
The 'problem' is that the Change Folder under the More button is still shown as available* and will actually allow you to enter a new folder and then displays it as set after a restart. It just doesn't work come the recording :mad: .
( * Except on channels that have multimode set to padding (I think), where the option is shown greyed and disabled.)

The option should be greyed-out for all non-series recordings. I'll fix that in the next web interface version as it has probably confused/frustrated a few people by now!

The option should be greyed-out for all non-series recordings. I'll fix that in the next web interface version as it has probably confused/frustrated a few people by now!

That would be nice, thankyou.

In course of my tests I also tried a single recording that was one episode of a series; ie. I chose "record the programme" not "record the whole series". That one also wasn't greyed out but still failed like the other single recordings.

I guess this only works with series because it hijacks the series folder function of the base software. Or is it more complicated?

Back