Recorder (FVP-5000T) switches itself on.

geoffhaynes

I always switch the unit off before going to bed but the next day it is back on.

I don't know if there's a connection but, recently, when I looked at my recorded programmes there were only 3 (recorded the night before) whilst all earlier recorings were missing. The next day they were all back. A friend of mine who is more tech savvy than me says it could be the HDD starting to fail. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine who is more tech savvy than me says it could be the HDD starting to fail.
Based on what evidence exactly? None? It could also be the phase of the moon.
As the saying goes - with friends like that...
If the disk was "starting to fail", it wouldn't magically resurrect recordings the next day.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
These units seems to be bug-ridden piles of junk from Humax.

Isn't the 4000 and 5000 a bit (lot) slow to display recordings after being switched on from cold? Cery=tain I've read this either here or on MyHumax.

Isn't the 4000 and 5000 a bit (lot) slow to display recordings after being switched on from cold? Cery=tain I've read this either here or on MyHumax.
It certainly isn't very quick and also the response is rather inconsistent if trying too soon; sometimes nothing happens, sometimes you get a message to wait and sometimes it claims there are no recordings. Waiting and trying again has so far always shown the recording list.

And you are sure you don't have an on timer configured?
I didn't know there was such a thing, however I have just checked and find that the on timer is switched off. Yesterday morning the unit had switched on over-night. I switched it off at about 11 a.m. and it was on again at lunchtime.

Yes, sometimes it can be but this was a non display of multiple recording for a complete day and they reappeared the next day.

It certainly isn't very quick and also the response is rather inconsistent if trying too soon; sometimes nothing happens, sometimes you get a message to wait and sometimes it claims there are no recordings. Waiting and trying again has so far always shown the recording list.
Yes, I've had this but it usually corrects itself within a few minutes - but not this time.

Based on what evidence exactly? None? It could also be the phase of the moon.
As the saying goes - with friends like that...
If the disk was "starting to fail", it wouldn't magically resurrect recordings the next day.

These units seems to be bug-ridden piles of junk from Humax.
So have you anything positive to contribute?

It is a contribution to say that you should ignore, and not propagate, wild speculation. I can see no causal relationship between a faulty HDD and the unit turning itself on.

I could postulate that a file system error might cause the unit not to return to standby (obviously you don't really mean "off") once it had been turned on for any reason (no doubt it wakes up from time to time to check the EPG or whatever), but the fact that you are able to set standby manually discounts that.

It is a contribution to say that you should ignore, and not propagate, wild speculation. I can see no causal relationship between a faulty HDD and the unit turning itself on.

I could postulate that a file system error might cause the unit not to return to standby (obviously you don't really mean "off") once it had been turned on for any reason (no doubt it wakes up from time to time to check the EPG or whatever), but the fact that you are able to set standby manually discounts that.
I agree that you made a contribution but my question was about a POSITIVE contrbution. I wasn't propogating wild speculation, I was asking for an opinion on the suggestion and an alternative if it was not felt to be correct. Anybody can say that any idea is rubbish but that is not helpful.

What about the remote scheduling thing. Is it available on the subject box (I don't mean the T2 one, but one associated with a smart phone.) I believe that this wakens the box to check. But there again I might be talking a load of blx. Just thinking aloud on a subject that I know little about and not trying to propagate any wild speculation.
my question was about a POSITIVE contrbution.
Although you didn't actually specify that in your OP, it is quite a reasonable assumption to make.:roflmao:

What about the remote scheduling thing. Is it available on the subject box (I don't mean the T2 one, but one associated with a smart phone.) I believe that this wakens the box to check. But there again I might be talking a load of blx. Just thinking aloud on a subject that I know little about and not trying to propagate any wild speculation.Although you didn't actually specify that in your OP, it is quite a reasonable assumption to make.:roflmao:
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't own a smart phone if that clarifies anything.

Not me.
I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Who are you to judge? Looks like wild speculation to me.
Are you saying you're a better judge than me? - you quite possibly are (I don't know you any more than you know me). I was asking for an opinion on a suggestion by someone more tech savvy than me. If you think it's wild speculation, then, presumably, you have a better explanation?

Leave it out BH.
geoff asked a sensible question, and threw in a bit of what is more than likely duff gen. No need to bang on about it.
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't own a smart phone if that clarifies anything.
I'm not sure what I mean either. I was rather hoping that someone who knows one way or the other would pick up on what I said and pop up and confirm/deny my suspicions.
But I fully admit that it comes under the general heading of "Wild speculation" with no direct knowledge on my part.

I'm not sure what I mean either. I was rather hoping that someone who knows one way or the other would pick up on what I said and pop up and confirm/deny my suspicions.
There is the capability to pair the Humax with an app on a mobile phone that amongst other things allows single recordings to be scheduled; I haven't used this functionality.

There is also the capability to set the box into a half awake state between start and end hours, so that the the servers on the box can be accessed even when the box is in standby.

There is the capability to pair the Humax with an app on a mobile phone that amongst other things allows single recordings to be scheduled;
I think that's what I was on about. Does it wake up the box from time to time to check if it has a scheduled recording. That's the angle that I was coming from.
But I suppose I will now get pissed off by being accused of "Wild speculation" as I was not sure about what I was talking about.

More speculation, maybe even wild. Some Humaxes (eg. 1800/2000T) wake up every flippin' day (04:30 I think) to do a software search, even though there is no OTA software anymore. I haven't found a way to stop this. Does the 4000/5000 do this? If so, at what time? Unlikely, but it could be one possibility for the device being on.

Back