Recording failed: unable to track program

R7814N

I was watching Click at the same time as the recorder had been set to record it. No problem watching the live broadcast but the recording failed: unable to track program.

What can I do about preventing this fault?

Recordings Reported as Failed "Unable to Track"

In the event that a recording has missed its start point (possibly by only a few seconds), it will be reported as broken on playback "unable to track". It will still play though. If there is no recording (other than a failed marker), the programme start marker did not occur while the Humax was watching for it (from 15 minutes prior to the nominal EPG time to 30 minutes or more after).

There are other broken recording reports, eg loss of signal or loss of power, but always attempt to play the recording because frequently these are only glitches at the start and it is (to all intents and purposes) in fact intact.

These can be due to broadcaster errors with changes to planned episode that the Humax has not picked up the change or just transmitting the wrong CRID

I was watching Click at the same time as the recorder had been set to record it. No problem watching the live broadcast but the recording failed: unable to track program.

What can I do about preventing this fault?
Something like Click, which is broadcast at multiple times within the BBC NEWS output, can be particularly problematic. I record the 1.30am Saturdays version, which seems to have been fine this week. See rest of the post I linked to above for the full SP on things that can go wrong.

A failure of this nature can only be prevented by setting a manual timer recording (eg 1.30-2.00 am Saturdays). Even that won't be guaranteed: sometimes Click gets bumped in favour of some developing news situation (and the recording is simply half an hour of news).

One way to defend against (rather than prevent) a failed recording is to set multiple instances to record in the hope that at least one will work (and mostly you will end up with multiple recordings). I think my preferred defence (if I were that bothered) would be to patch up with a qtube download of the missing edition (as we're talking about BBC output).

You might find the download preferable to a recording: now Click is only on BBC NEWS (it used to have a broadcast on BBC ONE), it is always overlaid by the news ticker and time - which is not the case on the download.

Back