Recording the Olympics

Wayne Twelftree

How do I go about recording the "red button" BBC channels on my Humax. There should be 8 channels apparently, but I can't find anything of real use.

Cheers.

Channel numbers are 600 > 608, plus 114 (HD)

Just schedule a recording as normal. Via the Humax directly, or if you have Custom Firmware, through the Web Interface.

If you don't 'see' those channels either you can't recieve them or you need to retune. Beware, if you do retune, you will loose current timer settings. [Recordings stored on your hard disk are uneffected]

Last edited:
OK that worked great, thanks I don't use the Humax all that much. Can you tell me if it's possible to get the red button channels in HD, or is that just channel 114

Last edited:
Just the usual BBC HD channels, One, Two and 106 (the old BBC Four HD), plus 114 as you say. AFAIK.

Just to add. I have found the EPG on the RedButton channels to be somewhat inaccurate. The guide says something, but an entirely different sport is being broadcast!

Last edited:
Just to add. I have found the EPG on the RedButton channels to be somewhat inaccurate. The guide says something, but an entirely different sport is being broadcast!
I recorded a whole programme of highlights this morning. When I came to watch ot all but the last 30 seconds had a banner saying what was coming up next.

Thanks for your help. Inaccurate channel guides are par for course I think, but it's better than nothing. Cheers.
The information details for what is coming up soon also are very changable. This happened in 2012. Best to check each day, plus if you have a spare tuner record one of the other HD channels as well just in case what ever you interested in moves

Channel numbers aer 600 > 608, plus 114 (HD)

Just schedule a recording as normal. Via the Humax directly, or if you have Custom Firmware, through the Web Interface.

If you don't 'see' those channels either you can't recieve them or you need to retune. Beware, if you do retune, you will loose current timer settings. [Recordings stored on your hard disk are uneffected]
The RB 1 to RB8 are so low quality I've switched to not bothering but using catch-up, although this morning the quarter HD version for the HDR-FOX T2 came out a few hours after the better than QHD version which youview was picking up.

How do I go about recording the "red button" BBC channels on my Humax. There should be 8 channels apparently, but I can't find anything of real use.
I think the BBC Sport catchup offering via the TV Portal is likely to be a better bet than trying to record from the multiple Red Button services with their random EPG entries, even assuming you have your box tuned correctly in the first place (I don't), and of course you can only set two to record simultaneously. I've not looked, but based on previous form you will be able to access any sport you like for the entire duration of the Olympics (and then some), and if you really want to save any of it for "posterity" the Custom Firmware makes it possible to save off the streamed download complete.

I tried recording the Highlights programmes on BBC Olympics HD but I got Unable to Track. This happened again, so I turned AR off for the recordings. Next time all I got was an hour of Rugby Sevens. Same the next day, an hour of one sport. I've cancelled the rest of the recordings. Oh for a highligts programme on a normal channel with reliable EPG.

From what I can see from my experience the BBC have put zero effort into producing a properly edited highlights programme for those of use without the time, stamina and enthusiasm to watch it wall to wall live. The Red Button stream EPG entries are not to be relied up so cannot guarantee being able to record and watch As Live the sport of your choice (I missed most of the Rugby Sevens KO stages because of this). The BBC Sports app only has short clips with spoiler headings so that is no use either for catch up. My view is that the coverage has been a massive fail by arrogantly assuming everyone wants to watch everything live.

Things should get easier this week as I am recording just the BBC1 overnight live coverage to pick through at breakfast time which should include the athletics which is the only other sport I am really interested in.

From what I can see from my experience the BBC have put zero effort into producing a properly edited highlights programme for those of use without the time, stamina and enthusiasm to watch it wall to wall live.
I agree, but where and when would you put it on so that the target audience could see it and it was still relevant? You have to remember that not everyone can get COM7/COM8 and the main channels are already stacked with live stuff. The time difference really kills it, especially as the Yanks have brought pressure to bear to push everything very late into the evening Rio-time.

I agree, but where and when would you put it on so that the target audience could see it and it was still relevant? You have to remember that not everyone can get COM7/COM8 and the main channels are already stacked with live stuff. The time difference really kills it, especially as the Yanks have brought pressure to bear to push everything very late into the evening Rio-time.

I don't care when a daily highlights programme is on. 4am would be fine with me, because I'd be recording it. So long as it's on an HD channel where the EPG times are reliable that will do me. But this seems to be beyond them.

The Replay programme on in the morning on BBC TWO appears to have morphed in to a "best of" or "highlights". It wasn't like that up to and including Friday! Although I remain to be totally convinced how much effort has gone into compiling it.

It is what the BBC2 Replay programme should be rather than a re-run of the BBC1 overnight coverage which misses out balanced coverage of events earlier the previous day.

Back