Recordings cut short

I have a 2000T and have just realized that that various scheduled recordings have been cut randomly short. I first noticed that Gardener's World 15-5-20 was cut off at 39mins of 60 and Monkman and Seagull on18th cut about in half, looking back in the Media list various episodes of series from most channels are randomly short. This seems to have been happening going back 2-3 months perhaps, and older material from late last year and early this seems to have recorded correctly.

Have the broadcasters been messing with AR during the recent schedule disruption?

For now, I have turned on auto padding. will this override AR?

Will the new padding setting be applied to series reservations already in the schedule?

If others haven't had problems is there anything I can try with my Humax that might correct things?

Thanks for any help
William

This seems to have been happening going back 2-3 months perhaps, and older material from late last year and early this seems to have recorded correctly.
Do you know which transmitter you receive from? If not give us the first part of your postcode.
Have the broadcasters been messing with AR during the recent schedule disruption?
In my experience not more than the normal occasional error.
For now, I have turned on auto padding. will this override AR?
Yes.
Will the new padding setting be applied to series reservations already in the schedule?
Yes.
If others haven't had problems is there anything I can try with my Humax that might correct things?
A manual tune might help but we can give better advise when you answer the questions above.

I've seen more fails and clips over the last couple of months than was usual before.
I assume this is as they shuffle Boris, HMQ and other 'relevant' programmes into the schedule while working from home unsupervised.

(It's less of a problem now as there's very little worth watching these days - I'm mostly watching discs :) )

Thanks all

Martin:
The transmitter is Billsdale as far as I know - the BBC local news is Newcastle based.

A manual tune might help but we can give better advise when you answer the questions above.

I did wander if a factory reset and/or a disk check might be worth trying but I'll until I see how some recordings this week go with padding rather than AR. I did use manual tuning at the last retune event to be sure there were no duplicates stored.

Thanks again for some input.
William

Hello

An update and I'm more confused than ever!

I've now got padding set for 2mins before and 10mins after and set the following for 21st May

12-15am > 1-10am "Walking With Elephants" - C4 - 25mins recorded

10-00pm > 10-50pm "Chasing the Moon" - BBC4 - 29mins recorded

11-30pm > 12-30am "Monkman and Seagull's ..." - BBC2 - 72mins recorded

Of these "Chasing the Moon" was a series link and the others single episode reservations of repeats of those episodes I've found cut short.

BTW: the HD is 54% free and the time and date are correct.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks again
William

Your only potential remedy is to perform a restore factory defaults operation and retune. Make sure that, during the retune, it only tunes to signals from one transmitter - if there is any doubt, do a manual tune only for the specific muxes from your chosen transmitter - use THIS (click) to guide you.

Hello

I thought I should post an update on this.

On 23rd I did a Factory Reset followed by a manual tune to the channel nos according to the checker in Black Hole's link above and finished with a disk check that completed as "Pass - no errors found"

Over this week I have made 4 recordings - padding on - and they all report as the expected length so I am hope this has sorted the problem.

Thanks again for your support.
William

Over this week I have made 4 recordings - padding on - and they all report as the expected length so I am hope this has sorted the problem.
Good. Perhaps try turning the padding off and see if that also works properly. In my experience accurate recording is a better option than padding if most of your recording are from the main channels.

Hello again

I thought I should give another update on this.

On 1 June I set padding to "OFF" and I have just reviewed the recordings made this week.

9 recordings, series and single, OK except for 2 from the evening of 4th. "Treasures of Pompeii" starting 9pm on C5 and "Chasing the Moon" starting 10pm on BBC4 were both cut off. Looking at the reported recording lengths and the scheduled start times they must have cut together at between 10-26 and 10-18pm. Another recording from earlier that evening on BBC4 is OK as is the next sheduled from Fri on BBC2. Could a signal interruption of some kind cause this?

I will have to keep a watch on things and if there are any more problems will try Padding again.

Thanks for any thoughts .
William

Hello

Sorry I haven't reported further but I now have developments.

I have tried starting to play the two recordings I mentioned in post 14 and they seem to start normally.

I have made several more reservations (AR, not padded) that have been OK but now have had another failure.

'A House Through Time', 17th-6 BBC2 9-00pm to 10-00pm shows 28mins but this time it had the "lightning flash" icon and starting play gave a message "Recording failed - loss of power", OKing that, the recording plays and now has the normal thumbnail - this is the first time I have had this behavior.

Following "House .. " in the schedule was "Chasing the Moon" on BBC4 10-00pm to 10-50. This shows 0mins and doesn't play, reports "Recordings less than 30sec might not be saved" - I have only seen this before when something was not broadcast at all in a late TV co schedule change. It looks as though having failed in "House.. " the Humax was then not responding at all to the "Start" signal for "...Moon" - could this be possible?

I have made some more reservations over the rest of this week so can see what happens to those.

Could this be a hardware problem? Might it be worth contacting Humax?

Grateful for any ideas
Will

'A House Through Time', 17th-6 BBC2 9-00pm to 10-00pm shows 28mins but this time it had the "lightning flash" icon and starting play gave a message "Recording failed - loss of power", OKing that, the recording plays and now has the normal thumbnail - this is the first time I have had this behavior.

I have seen that message a few times and sometimes the recording is truncated and sometimes there may just be the briefest of glitches. Not something I would worry about.

Following "House .. " in the schedule was "Chasing the Moon" on BBC4 10-00pm to 10-50. This shows 0mins and doesn't play, reports "Recordings less than 30sec might not be saved" - I have only seen this before when something was not broadcast at all in a late TV co schedule change. It looks as though having failed in "House.. " the Humax was then not responding at all to the "Start" signal for "...Moon" - could this be possible?
I recorded "Chasing the Moon" (in SD) on the 17th so it was broadcast. I can't explain why that failed. If you contact Humax I expect you will get the stock advice to reset to default settings and then manually tune if you are in an area where reception from more than one transmitter is possible.

Back