Recordings lost after Aura Factory Reset

Kay Rikey

I've been having problems recently with some recordings on my Humax Aura failing, with a message that it was because of a power failure. I did a Factory Reset ("Your recordings will be saved", it says), but on the Recordings screen, even though at the bottom it shows "Storage 27% Free space", the list of recorded programmes shows "No recordings". Any ideas?

A factory reset does not erase/ delete your recordings. Try switching off the Aura unplugging it for a few minutes and then plug it back in and restart
and see if your recordings list reappears. I have had a similar problem with a 5000T and switching off, unplugging and restarting restored the recordings list.

I also have an Aura and on occasions you will see the broken camera icon in the recordings list or a message saying recording has failed due to power failure.
Every time this has happened to me the recordings have played in their entirety without issue. It is possible you get this message when there has been a momentary blip in the broadcast.
Therefore I would say there is no need to perform a factory reset when you get the recording failure notification.

On HDR-FOX, the equivalent is the lightning icon. The recording might be "broken" for a number of reasons, but the reason could be minor and make no obvious problem when one ignores the error warning.

I also have an Aura and on occasions you will see the broken camera icon in the recordings list or a message saying recording has failed due to power failure.
Every time this has happened to me the recordings have played in their entirety without issue. It is possible you get this message when there has been a momentary blip in the broadcast.
Therefore I would say there is no need to perform a factory reset when you get the recording failure notification.

Same here on my Aura, I generally find this happens on part time channels like BBC Three/Four. As Black Hole says, this happens on the HDR too and has done for as long as I can remember. I have yet to have an actual failed recording on my Aura.

A factory reset does not erase/ delete your recordings. Try switching off the Aura unplugging it for a few minutes and then plug it back in and restart
and see if your recordings list reappears.
There is more than one reset option on the Aura and at least one of them does delete recordings.

I've got used to some programmes playing perfectly well despite a power failure message. This time, though, some haven't recorded at all or have stopped part way through. I've tried turning off and unplugging the Aura, then turning it back on again, but still no recordings are visible. (The option I used, Freeview Play Preference/Factory Reset, specifically states " Your recordings will be saved", so it's not a case of inadvertently using an option which would delete them. )

Last edited:
I've got used to some programmes playing perfectly well despite a power failure message. This time, though, some haven't recorded at all or have stopped part way through. I've tried turning off and unplugging the Aura, then turning it back on again, but still no recordings are visible. (The option I used, Freeview Play Preference/Factory Reset, specifically states " Your recordings will be saved", so it's not a case of inadvertently using an option which would delete them. )
How many times have you powered down, unplugged waited and then restarted the Aura, it may take more than one attempt. Of the couple of times my 5000T came up with an empty recordings list
it took two to three times of power downs and ups for the list to reappear. Also be patient and make sure the Aura is fully powered up and wait a few minutes or more to see if the list populates after a short time.

As for your recordings failing this may be due to the Aura switching itself off, it seems to do this of its own free will, my Aura went through a period of this, but is okay at the moment.

I tried turning-it-on-and-off-again six times, leaving it unplugged for up to half an hour in the end. Each time I left it on afterwards so that the recorded programmes list would have plenty of time to repopulate if it was going to, but nothing. I have a 500T too, so I knew it might take a little while.

Anyway, as I wanted to record some series starting today, I bit the bullet and went to Settings/Device Preferences/Storage/Internal HDD/Erase & format, to clear the disk and let me start recording again with the full disk capacity available, which it has done. I expected to have to reinstall everything, but it kept all my settings, which was nice. I'll just have to remember not to try any future resets and accept the occasional quirky behaviour that Humax machines seem to exhibit from time to time in my experience.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Much appreciated.

Back