Red Rain

rollsjohn

Picture coming off my FOX-T2 to LG OLED TV has what looks like red or green rain on parts of the picture in dark contrast areas (see pic). Have checked out HDMI lead and TV HDMI sockets, swapping both out. Happens on both live and recorded. Pictures from other sources on TV are ok.
Does anyone have any ideas what's happening?DSC_0901LR.JPG

Is this a brand new TV, or an issue which has just happened non-coincident with anything else changing?

The location of the sparkles, particularly the blue ones, indicates there may be some defective sharpening going on. I would be looking at the TV's picture settings for that particular input.

Also try cycling through the video modes on the Humax remote - possible you may have pressed the button by mistake

TV is almost 3 years old and it's tuner is not affected. Tried looking in Humax settings but nothing seems to relate to problem. Recordings are ok when played on another device via DNLA. Not changed anything on Humax recently. Some time ago reported on this forum that some parts of the picture had red flares along some edges of people and objects. At that time I stripped the Humax down to component boards cleaned the very little accumulated dust then re-assembled - problem solved. Will it be something to do with picture generation by the Humax and is time to pension it off? I'm reluctant since new models of any brand won't have the ability to run customised system.

If the TV has analog inputs, what does the picture look like with an analog connection?

Do you have any other TV to test against?

Is this an issue that has always been present or has something changed in your setup or did it occur out of the blue with no obvious change to anything?

Some time ago reported on this forum that some parts of the picture had red flares along some edges of people and objects. At that time I stripped the Humax down to component boards cleaned the very little accumulated dust then re-assembled - problem solved.
It sounds as though you have fixed a very similar problem in the past, maybe it is time to try the same procedure again

If you are running the Custom FirmWare 'Fan' package then the fan will run continuously (at a slower speed), if you are not running the CFW package the fan only turns when the hard disk gets up to 56 Deg. C, this usually takes about 2 hours from cold

If you have the CFW installed I would recommend the 'Fan' package, you can always remove it at a later date and revert back to the 'all or nothing' humax mode if you wish

Last edited:
Also with the custom firmware you can also install the sysmon package to monitor temperature over time and/or the tempmon package to generate alerts on high temperature

sysmon and tempmon only respond to the temperature reported by the HDD. If the SoC is itself overheating locally, all you could really do is stick the fan on max (using fan) and hope it has the desired effect.

Back