Red Ring not working on new install

mjd498

I recently installed the Custom Firmware 3.00 on my HDR Fox T2, The WEB interface came up OK on my computer when I went to 192.168.1.68
I made certain settings in the Redring package such as Disable Scrolling, Override Display Brightness etc. These have not taken effect despite a reboot of the Humax. The box was definitely connected to the Internet on Youtube on TV Portal. "Custom Firmware Successfully Installed" was not displayed on my computer when opening the above webpage. I tried a system flush using HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade/system flush then reinstalling HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_MOD_3.00 but I still cannot make the desired changes in REDRING take effect on the HUmax. Any help from Forum members would be gratefully received

Try another reboot. Some things take more than one.

"Custom Firmware Successfully Installed" was not displayed on my computer when opening the above webpage.
You are accessing the WebIF, so it must be (the custom firmware is what you load by USB, then the further installation of packages and configuration takes place from the initial web page. A reboot is then required before you get the web interface).

As this seems to be a specific query about redring, would you approve a topic title change to reflect that?

Thanks to those members who have responded so far
I have re-booted 3 or 4 times even to the extent of switching off at the mains and switching on again to no effect
I don't think a topic title change would help

An appropriate topic title makes the subject of the topic clearer in the forum listing. The custom firmware (as a whole) is a big subject. If you are happy to let us, a moderator will sort something out (although, in my opinion, the moderators should be pro-active).

Are you getting anything in a log file called redring? Have a look in the Diagnostics area in the web interface.
If not, enable general debugging of the TV app by running the debugtv diagnostic, then reboot and post the contents of your humaxtv.log log file. That should confirm what's going on.

OK Black Hole I take your point about changing the topic title and am willing to have this done . Moderators, can you sort this out please?

af123- I'll do what you suggest and post the results later

By the way, RedRing is behaving a lot better for me since the last round of changes af123 made. No more blue LEDs in standby in the morning or when I come home in the evening.

Behaving a lot better here too. But I still get the occasional blue LED so not 100% cured.

I've thought that a couple of times, but on checking the boxes were half awake waiting for a recording to start. The first sign of this for me is that the ethernet LEDs are on om the rear panel since I have wired network to both boxes.

I have fallen into that trap before, but thanks for the reminder. Sadly, it doesn't apply here. The ring LED was blue first thing in the morning. No recordings about to fire. The box, well both boxes, have the disable-OTA package installed, so they wake up early doors then go back into standby until a wake-up timer at 14:00. I use this simply to pick up any rs recordings I might have set. The package settings are the default.

Thanks to those members who have responded so far
I have re-booted 3 or 4 times even to the extent of switching off at the mains and switching on again to no effect
Redring stopped working a while back on one of my machines. I tried forced reinstalls and uninstalling and reinstalling, with or without deleting the redring.conf file, all with reboots. I also tried a factory reset, plus reinstalling standard firmware and then custom firmware. Nothing fixed redring. I never figured out why it stopped working. I did fix it in the end: to do this I ran the RMA procedure followed by installation of standard firmware to remove the custom firmware plus all packages and settings. I then reinstalled the custom firmware from scratch. This doesn't take too long to do and might end up saving you some time.

Are you getting anything in a log file called redring? Have a look in the Diagnostics area in the web interface.
If not, enable general debugging of the TV app by running the debugtv diagnostic, then reboot and post the contents of your humaxtv.log log file. That should confirm what's going on.

I tried to post the contents of the debugtv log file but a message popped up
saying "ERROR you cannot post anything containing email addresses or links until you have 10 posts This is to prevent SPAM I don't understand this as there are no email addresses in the post and no links as far as I can see

MODERATORS: What is going on?

There is loads of stuff in the Redring log file too much to post here even if the system will let ,
me

I'll try MontysEvilTwin's remedy and post the result in due course

a message popped up saying "ERROR you cannot post anything containing email addresses or links until you have 10 posts"
The limit is apparently 5, not 10, but they seem unable to get the text to match reality.

You will have to obfusacte any questionable sequences (anything with @ or :// in presumably)
It's all very stupid anyway.

Behaving a lot better here too. But I still get the occasional blue LED so not 100% cured.
Ditto, and also not due to pre-record. A couple of days ago, late in the evening, when the box went off (I can't remember now if it was by me with the remote or it finished a recording) it went to blue instead of orange. It was still blue the following morning (I don't have any early morning starts AFAIK).

I tried to post the contents of the debugtv log file but a message popped up
saying "ERROR you cannot post anything containing email addresses or links until you have 10 posts This is to prevent SPAM I don't understand this as there are no email addresses in the post and no links as far as I can see

MODERATORS: What is going on?

There is loads of stuff in the Redring log file too much to post here even if the system will let ,
me
The limit is apparently 5, not 10, but they seem unable to get the text to match reality.

You will have to obfusacte any questionable sequences (anything with @ or :// in presumably)
It's all very stupid anyway.
The forum limit is currently set on 5 posts, and links can be added from post number 6. I'm not sure why the pop-up error message mentions 10 posts.

Redring stopped working a while back on one of my machines. I tried forced reinstalls and uninstalling and reinstalling, with or without deleting the redring.conf file, all with reboots. I also tried a factory reset, plus reinstalling standard firmware and then custom firmware. Nothing fixed redring. I never figured out why it stopped working. I did fix it in the end: to do this I ran the RMA procedure followed by installation of standard firmware to remove the custom firmware plus all packages and settings. I then reinstalled the custom firmware from scratch. This doesn't take too long to do and might end up saving you some time.

I tried your procedure but now the WEBif shows that the box is still in RMA mode although the
FP display shows Custom Firmware 3.o on boot up All recordings on the HD were still intact I understood that they would be erased whn the box was set to RMA mode

Any ideas

I tried your procedure but now the WEBif shows that the box is still in RMA mode although the
FP display shows Custom Firmware 3.o on boot up
Did you install the standard firmware first?
All recordings on the HD were still intact I understood that they would be erased whn the box was set to RMA mode
You understood wrongly.

Recordings WILL NOT be erased. When you get to RMA mode you still have to install a standard Humax firmware to complete the process, before you can then re-install custom firmware.

To add to the above, only certain custom firmware packages and settings are stored in flash memory, a lot of it is on the disk. That is why if you install standard firmware then reinstall custom firmware, your packages and settings are still there. If Web-If tells you that you are in RMA mode, installing standard firmware now will get you back to a vanilla state (without affecting recordings or your on-box configuration options) and you can then reinstall the custom firmware from scratch.

Back