Remote Access Software (Free)

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
I have been using TeamViewer for many years and find it great. However recently it has 'accused' me of using it on a commercial basis and, because of this, it has limited my connection time to less than 30 seconds. Looking at the TeamViewer forum this now seems to be a general complaint.
Can anyone please recommend a suitable free to use replacement. I do not need any bells or whistles just straightforward access. Of course security is important as is ease of use for my small client family base.
Thanks

Last edited:
TeamViewer is great. It locked me out to recently, and I only use it to help an elderly friend without having to visit in person.

With no option to submit a support ticket, I rang them and was told to fill in a form on-line and attach the TeamViewer log file: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/personal-use-verification/ I filled in their usage form and they restored my free use after about a week. It's no great hassle for free personal access to a commercial facility, and they say they are committed to providing "free for personal non-commercial use".

I think they may have had a blitz on people taking liberties by triggering authentication for everybody. It's pissed some off, but then they weren't going to be buying in anyway!

Submitted but web site states it could take upto 30 days. Still, if it is reinstated, I will be a happy bunny :thumbsup:

Yes, "up to" 30 days, but mine was much quicker. It's no biggie for a freebie, and anybody complaining is looking the gift horse in the mouth.

One small niggle I have with it is that when running a remote session, the client's PC screen reconfigures to the remote's aspect ratio. That means that if I access via the TeamViewer iPad app, her screen goes 4:3.

Thanks again BH - just as you predicted, made 'private' again in 7 days (phew...). I don't use it a lot but find it invaluable when I need to.

Re your niggle: When I connect to my PC from my tablet (Android) under settings (a cog) there is an option for setting the resolution. Not sure if that might help ?

Back