Remote control not working

MikeSh

Having moved one box to another room I installed the Remote Control package to allow me to at least put it in standby, so I only have to visit it to turn it on.
But it doesn't work.
I press the power button on the screen image, it pops the "Are you sure" window, I tap OK, the window goes away, and the box just carries on. :confused:

I can't see anything in the documentation to indicate it needs some setting up - I'm not trying to do anything remotely clever (sorry, couldn't resist).

The only thing that comes to mind is that one of the boxes has had its code changed, since we had them both together till recently. It's 50:50 that it was this one. Does the package assume the default code? Is that code even used within the box or only between the remote and receiver?

If that is an issue then the follow up is ... How do I tell which code the box has? How do I set that in the RC application?

Did you reboot after installing the package?
Yes, it the package assumes the default mode. Go to the settings page for the ir package to change it. I think you need to reboot after doing so.
Trial and error, or educated guesswork would seem to be your friends for determining the existing mode.

How do I tell which code the box has? How do I set that in the RC application?
By deliberately setting the RC mode, you'll know what it is. The obvious thing is to set it back to Mode 1. Or see below.

The relevant setting for the ir package is in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir package... >> Select remote control mode.

I can't see anything in the documentation to indicate it needs some setting up
If you have changed your remote control mode from the default, for example to support having multiple Humax boxes in the same room, then you will need to set the remote control mode in the webif settings to match. To find out your current remote control mode you can hold down the OK and ZERO buttons on your real remote for five seconds and a message will appear on-screen which tells you the current mode, along with the option to change it.

There is a fairly minor 'bug' in the Remote operation.
If the remote box is already in standby (recording or pre) then the 01 button can be used to get it to wake fully. However the warning pop-up still refers to "If you put it in standby you won't be able to wake it up again" which is of course not strictly relevant.

There was a proposal for Unicode characters to represent IEC power symbols. Apparently it only took 5 years to get symbols accepted (last year) that are used on billions of manufactured items, by which time historical linguists had been able to represent symbols used on a single 3000-year old artefact with Unicode symbols for more than 10 years, which perhaps says something about the make-up of the Unicode committees.

Technical authors (you know who you are) can install the font from the linked site and display characters like Standby "⏻" (⏻, works for me).

More on topic, I expect that 0 on the IR remote takes the box out of standby without any threats.

More on topic, I expect that 0 on the IR remote takes the box out of standby without any threats.
Huh. I never knew the number 0 button would wake the box (just checked it out on the local box physical remote). I'll give that try from Webif. :thumbsup:

Technical authors (you know who you are) can install the font from the linked site and display characters like Standby "⏻" (⏻, works for me).
That might work for a printed document or PDF (if you include fonts in the output), but no good on a forum:

1588846455102.jpeg

As it happens I went through the extended character set available on iPads immediately I read post 6, but found nothing suitable.

You didn't execute the procedure in the first half of the sentence ! Yes, you'd have to include the font in a web page or PDF, so I suppose the only way of getting symbols into a BBcode forum is to make them into images. The point of pasting the character "⏻" was to show that it would display once you had installed a font with that symbol.

How, exactly, would you do that on an iPad? For anything to view correctly for everybody (which is the goal of a technical author), support has to be at least widespread.

More of a question for an Internet search? (Apparently it can be done, at least with iOS 13). But only necessary for the subset of technical authors who compose on the iPad.

While PDF always uses embedded fonts as far as I know, anyone who uses novel Unicode symbols in a web page needs to be aware that the browser may neither have a suitable glyph in a native font nor support/have enabled/have access to downloadable fonts. Apparently the only solution, apart from using a linked or embedded image sized to an em, is to include a tooltip on the character each time it's used.

As we are going off topic anyway, I discovered by accident the other day that the 'pad' and FF, Play, etc buttons on our Sony smart TV remote also work those functions on our Panasonic disc player. No, I haven't reprogrammed anything, both are out of the box.
I didn't even notice for a while, I'd just picked up the wrong remote in the dark.

While PDF always uses embedded fonts as far as I know
No. It's an option at the time you compile the PDF, obviously including fonts can make the file massive.

the 'pad' and FF, Play, etc buttons on our Sony smart TV remote also work those functions on our Panasonic disc player.
That could be by CEC. The TV passes the commands to the player over the HDMI cable.

No. It's an option at the time you compile the PDF, obviously including fonts can make the file massive.
In the context, I was talking about PDF readers. The IEC power symbol font linked earlier is only 2kB (2.2KiB, as the PCManFM file manager measures it).

That could be by CEC. The TV passes the commands to the player over the HDMI cable.
Looks like that is correct. With the front of the player blocked the player remote doesn't work but the TV one still does.
Something good about an HDMI connection ... :)

I had a situation where every time I turned on my LG TV, the LG BluRay player turned on whether I liked it or not. I never managed to work out what was doing it, because the HDMI went via a matrix switch and that link wasn't active (second thoughts: maybe CEC was "broadcast" on all connections not just the routed one).

The problem became a non-issue when I replaced the telly with a Samsung.

Back