Remote Control

danco

The (original) remote control for my HDR Fox T2 is mostly working ok. Once the machine is on, all the buttons work as they should. But the on/off button on the remote does not work, I have to turn the box on and off by the big button in the centre of the box.

I am wondering if a failing battery could cause this, if there's something else I can easily do, or if there is a more serious issue. Fortunately this problem is annoying but not important.

The (original) remote control for my HDR Fox T2 is mostly working ok. Once the machine is on, all the buttons work as they should. But the on/off button on the remote does not work, I have to turn the box on and off by the big button in the centre of the box.

I am wondering if a failing battery could cause this, if there's something else I can easily do, or if there is a more serious issue. Fortunately this problem is annoying but not important.
I would expect battery problems to affect all buttons equally - but the simple answer is to change the batteries and see if it improves things!

You can use the 0 button on the remote as an alternate way to turn the machine on.

If you have the customised firmware it contains an ir package which you could use to turn it off
Some users recommend leaving it switched on 24x7 to reduce disk power cycles.

You have a worn button.

See Things Every... (click) section 13:
Finally, the buttons do wear out or get dirty, particularly the frequently used buttons such as "OK". There is a guide on the Wiki for dismantling and curing such problems HERE (click).

Thanks. I took a look at the instructions for dismantling the remote, and decided it was too difficult for me to do unless the remote had so many faults that it had to be dismantled or replaced.

But 0 to switch on is ideal, and I may also use the ir package (as I already have the customised firmware) to switch off.

I have an RM series replacement for my remote. It's stalled a couple of times already but pressing the source button usually works (I use a SCART connection). Yesterday it simply stopped working as I was paging through the cricket scores on the BBC text service and the screen image gradually faded away. Nothing worked at getting it back: batteries OK; the source button competely ineffective (the last time it froze it took several presses on the button to get functionality back); cold rebooting the unit etc. I was ready to start replacing the SCART with a spare HDMI or putting the aerial feed direct into the TV when I can across a suggestion on Another Web Site: remove batteries; hold 0+OK for 30 seconds; reinsert batteries. Worked a treat.

Back