Remote FTP

tomnutt

Hi
Is it possible to access recorded files on the humax box from a remote location? Maybe through the ftp function?

Hi
Is it possible to access recorded files on the humax box from a remote location? Maybe through the ftp function?
You could possibly access the files via FTP remotely but they would be encrypted so of little use. I am doubtful (but don't know for certain) that DLNA (which relies on UPnP) would work remotely.

You should be able to FTP, but you will have to set up your router to allow external FTP requests into the network and you will have to find a way to address your home network across the Internet. The usual way to do that is to pay extra for your ISP to provide you with a static IP address, or sign on with a dynamic DNS service which provides you with a URL which tracks the changes in your router's IP address as it gets reassigned. It's not dead easy.

Then you need to contend with the recorded content being encrypted on disk. More information in the links below.

Things Every... (click) section 5

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/downloading-decrypted-recordings-to-pc-including-hidef.5379/

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/webif-can-it-be-accessed-from-the-wan.1092/

Thanks black hole.
I have a bt home hub 5 so managed to setup dynamic DNS but having trouble connecting to the humax.

Put it in to <your favourite search engine>

Have you really opened all those ports to the internet? Expect to get hacked. That's what I'm saying.

The ability to remotely access files by FTP, for example, is rather appealing. While I think I have the knowledge to get it working, I am not confident that I could make the setup sufficiently secure at the same time. Does anyone know of a good source for further reading?

But doesn't this still leave you with the problem that the recordings are encrypted on the 1800T and 2000T.
In which case what are you going to do with the recordings once you have remote access via FTP.

But doesn't this still leave you with the problem that the recordings are encrypted on the 1800T and 2000T.
In which case what are you going to do with the recordings once you have remote access via FTP.
Indeed, I am interested in how to overcome the security issues: I have HDR-FOX T2 units on which this is more useful. On the HDR-1800T/ -2000T you could remotely copy the hmt files, Foxy them and send them back (if high definition). Then if someone at your home did a remote control copy to an attached USB drive you could later download the unencrypted files as the USB drive would also be accessible by FTP. An elaborate scheme but if you were abroad, for example, and had a friend or family member watering your plants and copying your recordings to USB, it could work :D

... An elaborate scheme but if you were abroad, for example, and had a friend or family member watering your plants and copying your recordings to USB, it could work :D

Why not enjoy your holiday or work abroad and forget about the recordings? After all you bought a PVR to record programmes when you are not there. Then watch them when you get home. Easier, no security issues and no hefty bills from internet or phone providers for streaming/copying programmes across the internet. Well, just a thought.;)

Back