Remote power-on

prpr

I can't remember if this has been discussed before, and a brief-ish search hasn't revealed anything, but has anybody worked out a way of powering on an HDR without having to have a standard remote control available, with PVR selected and in the correct mode number and someone to be there physically and press the right button?

I can control the mains input and obviously monitor/control the HDR once it's on, but actually getting it turned on when it's in Standby seems to be getting more of a challenge. I've got wired network at very close quarters.

I am sure it has been discussed before https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/wake-on-lan-hardware-solution.320

AFAIK
  • The network is not active in full standby so can't respond to wake-on-LAN signals
  • The Humax doesn't respond to the HDMI-CEC link commands so your TV cant turn on Humax (but might crash it)
  • You might be able to find/make a programmable IR transmitter that could generate a Humax power on code

Last edited:
I have thought about it from time to time, but no ideas other than to throw "0" codes at it by IR.

This is a long shot, but ...
One of ours is only used once in a blue moon these days, so is usually powered down. When required I go and turn the power on, obviously, then wait for it to settle before tapping the front button to wake it up.
I wondered if tapping the button immediately after the CFW display disappeared might be quicker - ie. is there a window post-start where it has not yet gone to standby? It seems there is. If I tap the button at that time (I usually tap it during 'CFW' and again just after as I'm not sure) it immediately goes to 'on' with the default channel on the display.
So if the network has connected at that point there may be a window to get a remote 'on' command to it after a remote power cycle.

I can't remember if this has been discussed before, and a brief-ish search hasn't revealed anything, but has anybody worked out a way of powering on an HDR without having to have a standard remote control available, with PVR selected and in the correct mode number and someone to be there physically and press the right button?

I can control the mains input and obviously monitor/control the HDR once it's on, but actually getting it turned on when it's in Standby seems to be getting more of a challenge. I've got wired network at very close quarters.
This is not an ideal solution, but if you know in advance when you'd like to power on a HDR - schedule a (or many) reminder(s), not a recording. The reminder usually takes the HDR off standby (whereas a recording may leave it in a half awake state).

Disclaimer - this post is from stuff I've found on the internet but haven't tried any of them myself
If you wish to mimic the remote control (send an IR code to the Humax) then some suggestions below.
As far as I can work out, you'll need a device that is running to send IR codes to the Humax, something like running a LIRC server.
The non free app andymote site has a good write up https://andymote.abondservices.com
eg if may work you can run lirc server on an Android device with built in IR sender, or get an external IR sender for other devices.
I'm not sure if it may need to be a rooted device - ie to allow you to run a lirc server and IR signal via command line
Basically a lirc server on a mobile, or small device like Arduno or Raspberry Pi
Alternatively, if you are fine with those smart WiFi plugs that control the power to a plug, then consider "smart wifi IR" or "smart IR" search in Amazon.
eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-Control-Infrared-Universal-Compatible/dp/B07T1FSYX6
(As far as I know, the HDR remote uses NEC1 38kHz IR)

Last edited:
I have a Logitech Elite remote. I don’t use it as the ‘go to’ remote, but I have the base station permanently powered on and configured. I use the Logitech Harmony app on my iPhone and if away from my home network, I VPN in, and use the app to power whichever HDR I want. Once powered on, and the VPN still active, just access the WebIf If as normal.

Obviously if I am it home, no need to VPN.

I investigated this too a little while back and the best solution (and slightly more versatile to a logitech Elite remote) was to use something like a broadlink RM4Pro which learns whatever IR codes you want which can then be controlled (via VPN if away from home). It has IR and RF facility so pretty versatile. It just has to be in the same room as the box and it's IR beam is pretty powerful and 360 so doesn't have to be exactly in line of site. Works for me. Also you don't have to share your google ID with it when installing the App. I've just used my email address to set it up. Not had any problems with it but I've only used its basic features.

Thanks

Rodp

Back