Repeated Initial Startup Screen

I was presented with the initial startup screen this morning, for the second morning in a row.

Yesterday, after scanning and saving, I restored my schedule from backup.

Some channels were missing, notably 250 BBC Red Button & 707 BBC Radio 6Music.

Note: I am not talking about favourite channels: I am talking about channels available to view.

A rescan restored the channels, but another schedule backup restore removed them again.

Restoring an earlier backup didn't delete the channels.

Today, after scanning and saving, I checked to see if the schedule was empty, only to be surprised that it wasn't.

However, checking in Web-IF showed that recordings were allocated to wrong channels.

Channel 4 HD 104 recordings were scheduled to The Shopping Quarter 72
BBC One HD 101 recordings were scheduled to Al Jazeera Eng 235 etc.

A restore schedule from backup fixed this (and removed channels like The Shopping Quarter).

Questions.

What does the repeated appearance of the initial startup screen mean?

Can it be avoided?

Can it be ignored?

What does the repeated appearance of the initial startup screen mean?
Very little unless it is permanent. If the startup wizard becomes permanent I presume the Flash has amnesia (or some such) and the unit has reached end-of-life.

Can it be avoided?
The only black magic we have for that is the system flush (see wiki download page). Use it like a firmware update (ie reboot with the relevant .hdf plugged into the USB). It doesn't actually install any firmware, but somehow contrives to clear the databases* of any inconsistencies which might trigger the wizard next startup (ie deletes the databases so the Humax firmware rebuilds them).

* The Humax firmware uses multiple SQLite databases for data management: user preferences, tuning data, EPG, timer schedule, etc. It is postulated that if an unresolvable data error is detected in a database, that triggers the wizard. Errors could occur if there is a crash or power loss while the database is being written to, or if there are bugs in the software.

Can it be ignored?
I don't know how it can be ignored! The HDR is inoperative if the wizard kicks in, until you run it and at least accept the defaults and let it tune one mux. After that, all the user configuration can be restored from CF: Restoring User Settings after Restore Factory Defaults.

Yes, OK, I know you mean "does it matter"... I refer you to the previous paragraphs.

A rescan restored the channels, but another schedule backup restore removed them again.
I doubt it's the schedule restore which is modifying the tuning database, I think you'll find it's tunefix doing it and your config is not appropriate to the current tuning set (or current intent). An easy test is to simply uninstall tunefix and try repeating your previous actions (the config is not lost; reinstall tunefix to restore it).

Last edited:
Thank you, BH, for your useful reply and for being so generous with your knowledge.

I have downloaded and USB-ed the system flush in preparation for any repetition.

On the tunefix tip, I think you are right.

On the first initial startup config, I think I chose the wrong TV region.

I chose the right one on the second go, so I'll leave be until necessary.

Also, today's scan gave me muxes from three TV regions, which has not happened before.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'll wait till the next initial startup screen incident.

And if that's tomorrow, then that'll be a good test of the system flush.

Also, today's scan gave me muxes from three TV regions, which has not happened before.
I never use the auto scan. I have a list of 'our' transmitter channels and manually tune them. Takes a few minutes longer but at least I know there aren't any rogue muxes in the mix.

That said, I was looking at our tunefix settings the the other day, for the first time in years probably, and can't remember what the logic is or if it's still fit for purpose. It hasn't caused any problems I know of, so I've put finding out on the round-tuit list.

I was looking at our tunefix settings the the other day, for the first time in years probably, and can't remember what the logic is or if it's still fit for purpose.
Updated Tunefix Guide

The tunefix package automatically removes unwanted services following a retune, as an alternative to the channeldel package and with different capabilities. It can also reorganise the allocation of services to LCNs. The objective is to ease the inconvenience of imposed automatic retunes, or when retunes are necessary due to reorganisations in the broadcast services...

@Black Hole
Sorry, I was not clear.
I know what tunefix does/can do, but I don't remember what the settings I have in there currently were based on. It's mainly deleting a bunch of channels and I don't know if those blocks are still correct as there has probably been a lot of shuffling about since I set it up.

Just reporting in that there was no initial startup screen this morning.

The system flush USB stick sits atop the T2, awaiting its moment.

Back