Replacement T2

PerryM

Sorry for the length of this query - trying to get all questions in one post.
My HDR-FOX T2 with customised firmware just suddenly stopped working - dead as a dodo. I bought a standard replacement from Ebay (very cheap) that had sat in a garage for a couple of years unused, but looks fine with no damp or other issues. It worked with a few issues so I did a factory reset. I am left with these:
1) The sound disappears after either a couple of minutes or after almost any form of remote activity. (both from live TV and recordings)
2) The whole system seems slow and clunky, with occasional bursts of digital noise between operations.
3) Otherwise all the functions do appear to work.
The seller seemed a genuine nice chap but he hadn't used it for years.
I then attempted to use the replacement machine's PSU to fix mine but still dead so presumably a motherboard fault.
I then put my HD in the replacement T2. It powers up but as I feared, the existing recordings are not readable presumably because the encryption is locked to a motherboard.
So, to the point:
1) What is the best plan to restore the replacement machine to a good working T2 with custom firmware? It is currently on v7.3. Is it possible the problems would be fixed with a new firmware install? Should I go straight to custom or try to get it working first on the factory firmware?
2) (of minor concern) What is the best way (if any) of getting access to the recordings on my T2. I have used the decrypt function when copying recordings from my T2 on the network, so is there any way I can do this directly from that disk?

thanks for your understanding

v7.3 in the loader version number, Menu >> Settings >> Syetem Information will give you the software version, if you install the Custom FirmWare you can enter the encryption key from your original Humax so that the recordings on the original hard disk drive will play on the replacement unit

After installing the (Latest) CFW on the replacement unit, a fixdisk 'might' fix the sound problem, it's worth a try

Last edited:
Thanks for that. CFW installed, with full Internet access. Currently running fixdisk which I gather may take some hours.
Concerning the other matter - where do I find the encryption key?

Fixdisk finished - it found an awful lot of bad blocks. After a Humax disk format I am still showing more than half of the disk (500GB) is 'used', is this indicative of all the bad blocks or is it some other form of file corruption?
The audio fault is still there but it is now limited to HD channels. If I stay on SD channels it works, but as soon as I tune an HD channel the audio goes, and stays gone if I then tune an SD channel. I can regain audio on SD by going to standby and back.
Is it worth trying another disk? If I do that, do I have to reinstall all the custom firmware?

...Is it worth trying another disk? If I do that, do I have to reinstall all the custom firmware?
Probably, because the custom firmware is installed in 2 parts. The 2nd bit is on the hard drive. But why not just unplug the power to the hard drive on the newer replacement Humax to see if it works ok? It should work as a freeview receiver (without recording capabilities).
There are a load of stickied posts on the forum regarding the custom firmware.
If the unit works fine without glitches when the drive is unplugged, try plugging it back in again and use the CFW maintenance option to run the fixdisk process again to reduced the drive errors.
Try posting the diagnostics/disk diagnostics results before and after fixdisk.
This may help https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/fixdisk-help.9613/

Last edited:
The audio fault is still there but it is now limited to HD channels. If I stay on SD channels it works, but as soon as I tune an HD channel the audio goes, and stays gone if I then tune an SD channel. I can regain audio on SD by going to standby and back.
The easiest way to check whether blaming the HDD is a wild goose chase is simply to unplug the HDD. Lots of info here:
Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)
HDR-FOX Commissioning, Disassembly, Repair (click)

With regard to using the HDD from one system on another system, see HDR-FOX HDD Replacement:
Black Hole said:
5. Recovering Recordings for Use Not on the Original HDR-FOX

There are a few problems to be addressed if recordings are being recovered from a HDR-FOX HDD for use not on the original HDD (such as if the original HDR-FOX failed for reasons other than the HDD)...

(Post updated with thanks to Luke, post 7)

Last edited:
OK - disconnecting the HD sorts out the sound issue. Clearly I need to replace the HD so I might as well use the one from my dead Humax. I have gone through all the suggested literature on recovering my encrypted HD recordings so I understand how to do it in the rebuilt Humax. Is there any advantage (like speed) in copying the programmes first to another HD and decrypting them (if possible) in a Windows PC? I understand how to create the key from the MAC and s/no. If true I would then put them on my Plex server to watch.

OK - disconnecting the HD sorts out the sound issue. Clearly I need to replace the HD so I might as well use the one from my dead Humax. I have gone through all the suggested literature on recovering my encrypted HD recordings so I understand how to do it in the rebuilt Humax. Is there any advantage (like speed) in copying the programmes first to another HD and decrypting them (if possible) in a Windows PC? I understand how to create the key from the MAC and s/no. If true I would then put them on my Plex server to watch.

If you are simply going to transplant the HDD from your old HDR-FOX, just fit it. Then go into WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings and set up a custom encryption key to match the key for the old unit, and reboot (WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Reboot). The result will be that all the (decrypted or non-decrypted) recordings on the (old) HDD will be usable on the (new) HDR-FOX (but any non-decrypted recordings made with the new HDR-FOX before changing the key will not). You can then go on to set auto-decryption (Decryption Guide method 2, which will decrypt all existing and new recordings... given time), which does not require any supervision (only patience). Once decrypted, you will be able to do whatever you like with recordings.

If you prefer to decrypt on a PC (which will be faster, but require more intervention), all the details are also linked through the decryption guide (as linked through post 6). The quickest way to get recordings onto a PC (decrypted or not) is to connect the drive directly to a SATA interface on the PC (or a USB3-SATA adapter, or even a USB2-SATA adapter at a push). You will need Linux, or a Ext3 reader app/driver for Windows.

Last edited:
If you are simply going to transplant the HDD from your old HDR-FOX, just fit it. Then go into WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings and set up a custom encryption key to match the key for the old unit, and reboot (WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Reboot). The result will be that all the (decrypted or non-decrypted) recordings on the (old) HDD will be usable on the (new) HDR-FOX (but any non-decrypted recordings made with the new HDR-FOX before changing the key will not). You can then go on to set auto-decryption (Decryption Guide method 2, which will decrypt all existing and new recordings... given time), which does not require any supervision (only patience). Once decrypted, you will be able to do whatever you like with recordings.

If you prefer to decrypt on a PC (which will be faster, but require more intervention), all the details are also linked through the decryption guide (as linked through post 6). The quickest way to get recordings onto a PC (decrypted or not) is to connect the drive directly to a SATA interface on the PC (or a USB3-SATA adapter, or even a USB2-SATA adapter at a push). You will need Linux, or a Ext3 reader app/driver for Windows.
You are very wise and after all there is no rush, so I am following your suggestions to the letter and sticking with the Humax for processing. Progressing well so far with the first half dozen decrypted.

Many thanks to you and the others for your patience and knowledge to keep this old fart (76) on the road to PVR recovery!

Classic overconfidence!
Everything worked great - I decrypted all my existing recordings and then ran fixdisk with no apparent issues. The machine was working fine UNTIL I put the lid back on and put it back under the TV!
Within a minute or so, I lost the HD sound again - exactly the same symptoms as before - it comes back for SD after a soft reboot (to standby) but goes as soon as I switch to HD or attempt to play an HD recording. There is also the general system clunkiness.
Any ideas? Any diagnostic I can use? I am currently using HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13 with the latest full web interface add-ons.

I was just ahead of you Peter, the airflow line in the Smart stats was showing red and I cannot hear or feel a fan flow. Since I have replaced the fan with the other hard drive, I can only assume that for some reason there is no power on the mobo fan socket. Maybe the temp sensor has failed.
I wonder if I could hard wire the fan to the PSU - it won't worry me if it runs all the time. The other thought in our relatively cool British climate is to simply drill some air holes over the processor heat sink.
Any thoughts?

I wonder if I could hard wire the fan to the PSU - it won't worry me if it runs all the time. The other thought in our relatively cool British climate is to simply drill some air holes over the processor heat sink.
Any thoughts?
The fan running at 100% will probably be too loud, maybe you could drop the voltage to the fan slightly but make sure that the fan will still start up reliability, you need to add more metal to the heatsink to increase the surface area

What is your 'Worst' value here :-
temp.jpg

Last edited:
The thing is, the temperature sensing and primary cooling are directed at the HDD not the CPU, whereas crashes and misoperation are going to be the CPU and/or other electronics components (which pretty much rely on convection). The HDD caddy fan might well be working, but if the rest of the electronics is overheating (either because of age or because of a layer of dust) it isn't going to help much.

Check the existing fan is working (and the HDD probably needs a fan so if it is a fan supply problem you need to make other arrangements, as per my guide linked previously), and check there is no other impediment to air flow, but if there is nothing else to explain the overheating here is a possible work-around (my prototype – I could make parts available if there is enough interest):

0DA2D43C-8734-429C-A26C-EBDD604F8D4E.jpeg

Back