Reprieve for now

Last paragraph:
What’s also certain is broadcasters won’t stand still. Broadcasting is changing, so terrestrial TV in its current form will also change. It just might be allowed to change a little more slowly thanks to WRC-23.

It's coming ... but not very fast ... maybe.

Had a look at the link in this line: In the UK and Republic of Ireland, the next two years will see the establishment of next-generation free-to-view TV platforms to replace Freeview and Saorview in their current form. which is to Freely.
I'm curious as to how that will work regards recording vs on demand since at present the latter doesn't have all content. Is this the end of the PVR?

Also surprised to see 15% of homes are already broadband only, but I guess a lot of younger households don't bother with 'TV' per se.

"I'm curious as to how that will work regards recording vs on demand since at present the latter doesn't have all content. " With the already declining ad revenues I suspect a Netflix style will be adopted to keep the cash flowing in, maybe free to watch live but subscription to download and get 4k. On the bright side it may also see the end of the TV licence.

Also surprised to see 15% of homes are already broadband only, but I guess a lot of younger households don't bother with 'TV' per se.
Many new estates have been built recently near me. I'd be lucky to see one or two aerials in them. Maybe a few satellite dishes. Are the majority using broadband only? I guess so.

I don't like the sound of Freely. What happens to our ability to record off-air? I've a feeling we're being pushed into the broadband only subscription services protected by DRM and no ability to record. Were we consulted? Even if we were, are we being listened to?

What happens to our ability to record off-air?
Did you see this "But in parts of Belgium and Switzerland, terrestrial TV has already come to an end. That’s due to widespread cable and fibre internet availability."

Anyone know/experienced this?

They never met the criteria for switching off FM, so...
I listen to FM in preference to DAB since FM gives me better audio quality. They could easily convert me into a DAB listener by doubling the DAB bit rates, which is about what it would take to be clearly better than FM in all circumstances. But that's not going to happen. I have separate directional loft aerials for DAB and FM and a hifi FM/DAB+ home cinema receiver, which means I represent perhaps 0.1% of the listening public.

Back