Reserved Space.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7950
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7950

So today my Humax 1800t ran out of recording space , I deleted a few recordings to free up space, before deleting them my reserved space was 53.0.gb so I decided to deleted all future recordings to see If that number went down , usually when I reserves programs that number goes up and I then have a idea on how much space I have left, but it didn't change when making reservations so I want to know what's going on , I would like to know how much space I have free.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 13
If it's anything like HDR-FOX, the reserved space is for other stuff such as the timeshift buffer, and nothing to do with pending recordings at all.

If it's anything like the HDR-Fox, the reserved space is also a way for Humax to disguise the fact that disk sizes are quoted in power-of-ten based Megabytes/Gigabytes whereas storage is in power-of-two-based Mebibytes/Gibibytes.

Let's see here:

A 320GB hard disk is 320*10^9 bytes = 320,000,000,000 bytes
This is 320,000,000,000/2^30 Gibibytes (GiB) = 298.023 GiB

A difference of 320 - 298 = 22, thereabouts.
Add in a 20GB timeshift buffer and a 10GB partition that isn't for recordings (assumption there based on what I know about the HDR-Fox) and there's the 53GB of "reserved" space.

If you want more information, have a read through http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/insufficient-disk-space-for-what.5097/

If it's anything like the HDR-Fox, the reserved space is also a way for Humax to disguise the fact that disk sizes are quoted in power-of-ten based Megabytes/Gigabytes whereas storage is in power-of-two-based Mebibytes/Gibibytes.

Let's see here:

A 320GB hard disk is 320*10^9 bytes = 320,000,000,000 bytes
This is 320,000,000,000/2^30 Gibibytes (GiB) = 298.023 GiB

A difference of 320 - 298 = 22, thereabouts.
Add in a 20GB timeshift buffer and a 10GB partition that isn't for recordings (assumption there based on what I know about the HDR-Fox) and there's the 53GB of "reserved" space.

If you want more information, have a read through http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/insufficient-disk-space-for-what.5097/

Okay thanks for all the info , is there a way to see my pending recordings then , because I ran out of space and couldn't record new things I wanted

HDR-FOX: Guide >> Schedule (yellow)

StDef recordings occupy about 1.5GB/hour, HiDef is about 3.5GB/hour.

Hint: stop acting like a squirrel. Are you really going to watch everything you have stored up? My guess: if it's more than a few weeks old - probably not, because there's new stuff coming in all the time. There's only so much time in a day/week for watching telly, so the average rate of recording stuff doesn't need to exceed the average rate of watching recorded stuff (and then you have to remember to delete what you've watched).

Keeping stuff you've already watched will lead to running out of space eventually, however large the HDD is. It's just like running out of space in the cupboards because of keeping too much clutter. Anything you really can't bear to delete should be moved to external storage (and, if it's really that treasured, backed up).

Last edited:
is there a way to see my pending recordings then
Not on the HDR-Fox T2 so I assume the same applies to this one. I don't think you will have ever seen that reserved space value change. The best you can do is estimate the required space but this varies by channel and even things like the size of the EPG data for the next seven days can affect it.
Black Hole's figures are a good starting point.

To be accurate (HDR-FOX): you can see pending recordings, but there is no estimate of storage space required attached to them.

To be accurate (HDR-FOX): you can see pending recordings, but there is no estimate of storage space required attached to them.
Or even if they will actually record. It's common for series to show lots of episodes (right arrow when viewing the schedule on the TV) but only the first showing of each episode will usually record. I did once think about adding an estimated storage value to the web interface but decided it wasn't helpful.

Back