Restore Backup Curiosity

I've just had one of those pestilential "default reset" events. Recovery was, as usual, made much easier by the custom firmware's backup restore feature, which correctly recovered my recording reservations and the contents of my favourite groups. However, it did not restore the groups' personalised names. A second restore of the same backup did rename the groups. Is this working as designed?

They both use the same library function.
I've been grappling with it, trying to improve it, but it isn't complete yet.

There's some trickery needed to get the Favourite group names to stick. It seems that you can restore them after restoring the groups and restarting but not in a single operation, as observed by OP.

Was that an automatic restore on reboot?
Manual.

Was this a manual restore, followed by a manual reboot?

Yes. My usual sequence is to interrupt the box's automatic channel search, manually search only selected muxes, reset password and vido format then reboot. The previous times it happened, I noticed the default favourite names and simply changed them manually. I don't know why a second reboot occurred to me this time, but I was pleased to see the automatic change--the manual way is laborious!
If so, there is room for there to be a variance.
So it seems. I reported it as a curiosity, not a complaint.

They both use the same library function.
I've been grappling with it, trying to improve it, but it isn't complete yet.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. What you've done so far saves an enormous amount of work, and a second restore/reboot is hardly onerous.

My usual sequence is to interrupt the box's automatic channel search, manually search only selected muxes, reset password and vido format then reboot. The previous times it happened, I noticed the default favourite names and simply changed them manually. I don't know why a second reboot occurred to me this time, but I was pleased to see the automatic change--the manual way is laborious!
auto-schedule-restore will produce a reboot, if it discovers an empty schedule at boot time (the schedule gets emptied by an automatic channel search, be that user-initiated or the result of a restore factory defaults operation). When using auto-schedule-restore, it is vital to have at least a dummy entry in the schedule so that it doesn't kick in every reboot!

(I think) tunefix & tunefix-update also initiate reboots as required.

(Reboots are necessary so that the CF can get access to data tables which are not writeable while the Humax settop process is running.)

tunefix would eliminate your need to perform manual channel searches, if configured to your liking. It will self-configure to remove multiplexes from other regions (you can override that), or can be configured to remove selected multiplexes or services (and many other things).

Video format can be enforced using boot-settings.

Restoring User Settings after Restore Factory Defaults

Back