Retune of 1800T

Mick Allen

I did read somewhere about a retune being needed due to some frequencies now being needed for the roll out of 5g between 22nd and 25th June. I've retuned twice and am missing some channels (especially Quest HD). The Humax box keeps asking me to retune and gives these results (see jpeg). Transmitter is Crystal Palace, I assume which box I have doesn't make a difference? Anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• 20200626_135942.jpg
    20200626_135942.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 11
I did read somewhere about a retune being needed due to some frequencies now being needed for the roll out of 5g between 22nd and 25th June. I've retuned twice and am missing some channels (especially Quest HD). The Humax box keeps asking me to retune and gives these results (see jpeg).
Quest HD has moved from the COM8 to COM7 multiplex. The channels you are seeing in the high seven hundreds are temporary. Do you receive direct from Crystal Palace or via a relay?

Must be direct if he had COM8 in the first place.

Try a manual scan on RF channel 55. If that finds nothing, then you need to investigate the aerial feed.

Is this correct what I have done? No problems picking up other HD channels, although to get Quest HD on the old frequency I had to put in an inline signal amplifier. If I can get other HD channels, surely I can even pick up a weak Quest HD?

Attachments

• 20200626_171709_HDR.jpg
    20200626_171709_HDR.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 9
I've had problems with COM7 and COM8 in the past. Do as prpr says and try a manual scan of channel 55. Make sure you select T2 and that there is a signal.
Sometimes I've done a scan and it returned no channels. It has then taken me upto 5 attempts to get the channels - often requiring some re-routing of the aerial cable. If you have no signal strength (or quality) double check that you've selected T2 and then follow prpr's next advice - check your aerial.

I've had problems with COM7 and COM8 in the past. Do as prpr says and try a manual scan of channel 55. Make sure you select T2 and that there is a signal.
For clarity what EEPhil is suggesting is that when manually tuning channel 55 you set the "transmission" type to "DVB-T2".

No channels appear on C55. Strength and Quality are both at zero. As for re routing the aerial cable, it's down the side of the house. Think I'll just live with it and pay a percentage of my license fee next year! Why when something works the powers that be need to fiddle with it is beyond me

No channels appear on C55. Strength and Quality are both at zero. .... Think I'll just live with it ...
Far enough as it is your choice what you do with your stuff.
May I ask why you have not responded to the first suggestion given by EEPhil in post #5, and then emphasised by MartinLiddle in post #6?

Far enough as it is your choice what you do with your stuff.
May I ask why you have not responded to the first suggestion given by EEPhil in post #5, and then emphasised by MartinLiddle in post #6?
I thought the picture in post #4 showed he has done that.
Though it doesn't specify the T2 part, so that might be worth double checking.

I thought the picture in post #4 showed he has done that.
Though it doesn't specify the T2 part, so that might be worth double checking.
Yep, you are right. The picture in #4 does not show that Mick Allen has done that.
That is the reason that 3 members of this forum have tried to persuade Mike Allen to attempt to manually tune channel 55 setting the "Transmission" type to "DVB-T2".
But if Mick Allen doesn't want to that is Mick Allen's choice.

That's weird. I was wondering if the weather might be factor but you'd still get some signal. It sounds like either you've not picked the T2 option or ....
That you find it weird, I do find weird. "Strength and Quality are both at zero" should not be weird for anyone who has attempted to set the "Transmission" type to "DVB-T" , and then found it worked when using "DVB-T2", (or vis-versa), or is aware of what could happen.

Yep, you are right. The picture in #4 does not show that Mick Allen has done that.
That is the reason that 3 members of this forum have tried to persuade Mike Allen to attempt to manually tune channel 55 setting the "Transmission" type to "DVB-T2".
But if Mick Allen doesn't want to that is Mick Allen's choice.
Well, yes, but he's successfully tuned the other T2 muxes, so it seems an unlikely error.
OTOH if he's done an autotune which didn't catch 55 and then manually tuned only 55 ... :dunno:

I'll await Mr Allen's further input.

No channels appear on C55. Strength and Quality are both at zero. As for re routing the aerial cable, it's down the side of the house. Think I'll just live with it and pay a percentage of my license fee next year! Why when something works the powers that be need to fiddle with it is beyond me
Because things change. Sometimes they get better. Sometimes they don't. Lots of people don't get COM4-6 let alone COM7/8 - everyone pays the same, so your comment about the license fee is pointless. Blame the gov'n'munt for flogging TV channels off to the mobile companies.

I would expect that you've got a donkey's years old group A aerial from the analogue days, connected with dubious cable. This was fine for that and for most of the digital muxes given the high power that CP has. The trouble is that channels 55 and 56, which are COM7 and COM8, are well outside the response of such an aerial, which typically covers 21-37.
You were probably just lucky that your amp. improved 56 enough to receive it although you didn't quote any figures for it, nor did you say where you put it - it needs to go at the aerial end, not the TV end.
55 is probably just the wrong side of the digital cliff. Sometimes old or physically damaged cable can cause odd effects too.
The other HD channels are on the PSB3 mux. which is transmitted at a higher power and on a channel that is in-band for your aerial, which is why they work.

Well, yes, but he's successfully tuned the other T2 muxes, so it seems an unlikely error.
OTOH if he's done an autotune which didn't catch 55 and then manually tuned only 55 ... :dunno:

I'll await Mr Allen's further input.
I have auto tuned the other channels. And tried manual on 55 with T2 selected

Have you looked at the coverage checker?

Also, more insight:

I have auto tuned the other channels. And tried manual on 55 with T2 selected
Just as a follow on from prpr in post #14, did you actually receive 55 before?
If you usually autotune and never wanted any of the channels on it you might not have noticed its absence.

Just as a follow on from prpr in post #14, did you actually receive 55 before?
If you usually autotune and never wanted any of the channels on it you might not have noticed its absence.
I've no idea...I don't expect I'd have noticed. Just let the retune happen unattended, and, if the channels I watched regularly appeared, I was happy

Of course you're not. The checker for my postcode says I should be able to receive Quest HD. I (probably like 90% of the UK population) just have aerial-shaped joined together bits of old aluminium on the chimney pot that previously 'did the job'. Which could be the problem. A simple reply such as 'buy and fit a new aerial for £300 or whatever' would have sufficed. I'll suffer losing Quest HD. But why does the Humax box shift the old channels to a new number and still ask me to retune? It must be picking up some signal otherwise the TV guide would be blank?

Back