Retune pitfalls?

Trev

The Dumb One
I think my tuning is a bit on the dodgy side as far as tunefix is concerned.
I have the latest and latest tunefix update auto-installed.
MY concern is ref the removed channels and whether I am removing good stuff that I am not aware of.
This is what my tunefix is doing
Remove by number
Code:
260-299
671-684
712-734
778-799
Remove by name
Code:
The Space
Christian
CONNECT*
VISION*
GOD TV
SONY SAB
CCTV
Sports
Racing TV
QVC Beauty
Rocks & Co 1
Food Network
Travel Channel
Jewellery Maker
Al Jazeera Eng
RT
ADULT smileTV2
ADULT Babestn
ADULT Section
1-2-1 Dating
Racing UK
BBC Radio 1
BBC R1X
BBC Radio 2
BBC Radio 3
BBC Radio 4
BBC R5L
BBC R5SX
BBC 6 Music
BBC Radio 4 Ex
BBC Asian Net.
BBC World Sv.
The Hits Radio
heat
Smooth Radio
All the HD channels moved to bottom LCNs
Code:
BBC One HD to LCN1
BBC Two HD to LCN2
etc.
With all the SD versions moved to LCN 101 etc.

My concern is that I have lots of stuff that doesn't exist in the lists.

How do I clear out and 'start again? Or don't I need to?

You don't need a lot of those removed by name as they're already done by LCN.
The radio ones are weird - you remove most by LCN and a lot more (if not all) by name.
How do I clear out and 'start again?
Code:
humax# /mod/boot/xinit.d/tunefix install
Then do an auto-tune, reboot (to remove the useless junk), review the config. (to set personal preferences) and reboot again.

Thanks prpr
You don't need a lot of those removed by name as they're already done by LCN.
The radio ones are weird - you remove most by LCN and a lot more (if not all) by name.
That's what I suspected. Just want to tidy things up a bit.
Code:
humax# /mod/boot/xinit.d/tunefix install
What do I do with that?:eek:
Then do an auto-tune, reboot (to remove the useless junk), review the config. (to set personal preferences) and reboot again.
That bit I understand.:D

MY concern is ref the removed channels and whether I am removing good stuff that I am not aware of.
Quite, which is why I did a "rip up and start again" job on my supported user's unit.

To start again, all you need to do is go into tunfix.conf via the diagnostics file editor and clear it out. I prefer not to use the tunefix GUI in WebIF because it lacks some features I need for multi-region, but that might not bother you.

Use MUX to remove unwanted multiplexes en bloc (if any, useful for killing off adjacent transmitters);

Use https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/digital-uk-industry-channel-listings.34/ as the source of information to decide which services you do and don't want to keep, then set rules that are dependent on name rather than LCN in case of future changes.

LCNs are currently grouped:

1-100 StDef services​
101-115 HiDef services​
201-211 Kids (inc HiDef)​
231-234 News​
250-253 Text services​
260-274 Streamed (not compatible)​
601-602+ Interactive (Red Button)​
670-699 Adult streamed​
700-735 Radio​
800+ Relocated services from other transmitters/regions​

So, bearing in mind tunefix automatically adds an "LCN|778-799" command, your clean-up could be "LCN|260-600 ,610-699" (601-699 allowing for various Red Button services during Wimbledon etc), and then ditch any remaining clutter using NAME and wild-cards. That guarantees new services (within the permitted LCN range) won't get summarily removed until you add them to the NAME list (unless they correspond with a wild-card).

It has been established that tunefix re-orders the individual commands into the following sequence (regardless of what order they appear in tunefix.conf originally - see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/tune...organisation-and-maintenance.6639/post-121391): REGION, FORCE, FORCESVC, LCN, NAME, MUX. This makes it possible to cherry-pick particular services onto your own (out of the way) LCNs, then kill whole blocks in one go with an LCN range.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
I don't have a multiple transmitter problem thank goodness.

I don't have any conflicting MPXs. I am tuned to the Hastings transmitter, so don't have 'problems' with coms 7&8 either and am assuming that a retune completely restores the full set of LCN s?
Just to get things clear in my head, so what I do is:
a. change the settings of 'Remove by number' in TF along the lines of what BH & Mike said and clear out my 'Remove by name' (RBN) list but leave my force channel LCN swap stuff alone.
b. do a retune.
c. reboot which does the new TF settings.
d. check out the new programme list and add anything I still don't want to the (RBN) list
e. reboot to let TF remove what I have just moved to the RBN list.
Job done?

Just got on with it. Job done. EPG populates a bit quicker now as I have deleted a whole bunch of LCNs that I never use.

Thanks for your patience guys.:D

Back