Reversing the Air Flow

Why should there be two types of caddy at all?
Presumably Humax don't make the caddies. Customer X of the caddy supplier makes a much bigger order but demands only 2 screws. The supplier retools the line for 2-screw caddies. Hey presto!

I don't know how you come to [the conclusion that the the heat-sink isn't critical to the SoC] ...
Because the HD-Fox with the loose heat-sink carried on working with no short-term issues.

However I wondered if a loose heat-sink might in some way cause the uncommanded factory reset issue. Let's say the chip over-heats and as a result scrambles a write to the system DBs. On the next reboot, one or more DBs are corrupt and the system has to go back to the installation menu (or perhaps the tuning menu, if just the tuning DB was affected).

no short-term issues
1: Your example is a HD-FOX not a HDR-FOX; 2: "short-term". Hardware is a bit different than software, there are all manner of engineering considerations. Do read the spoiler section here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/internal-temperatures-soc.10200/post-155204

Presumably Humax don't make the caddies. Customer X of the caddy supplier makes a much bigger order but demands only 2 screws. The supplier retools the line for 2-screw caddies. Hey presto!
Sorry, total bollox. The caddy design is clearly specific to HDR-FOX (and DTR-1000T). Nobody would be selling it as a standard part.

And another thing: there are positions for three screws to secure the front panel assembly, but I have never seen the centre position occupied... and Humax have not deleted that position.

Suppose Customer X is actually Humax again, but this time ordering for a later model of STB ...

But again, to delete two screw holes requires redesign and retooling - unnecessary costs whoever is making it.

But again, to delete two screw holes requires redesign and retooling - unnecessary costs whoever is making it.
The old tool might have worn out or been lost.
They might have used a different supplier.
Adding unnecessary holes to a new tool is extra cost.

Back