RF sockets very warm.

Minari

Just noticed the back panel immediately around the RF sockets (V1) is very warm, almost uncomfortable to touch. Had a look inside and no signs of scorching. Inside is very clean - no dust buildup.
I have no means of measuring the temp but it seems excessive. The recorder is working normally.

My three HDRs are all running 7-8°C above ambient in that area, so unless you are particularly sensitive to heat that doesn't sound normal.

The SoC is fine, but the tuners do seem rather hot.

Not a lot to do about it than check the fan works - see HDR-FOX Commissioning, Disassembly, Repair (click).

If you are a CF user, you really should have the fan package installed and set to 40% minimum. This will ensure a continuous airflow, although it only really cools the HDD. If you are not a CF user... consider it.

On mine slightly warmer than rest of back panel but barely noticeable (ie never noticed until prompted by this thread)

OK. Found an infrared thermometer and took some readings inside. Are these normal?
I would say Yes, they are normal, I turned off the 'Fan' package to allow the unit to have a HDD temperature of 55 Deg. C (just before the fan would normally come on ), I got the higher readings shown below :-

Your Humax - - - My Humax
42 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38 . . .>> . . . 36
50 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55 . . .>> . . . 50
45 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 48 . . .>> . . . 40
51 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 58 . . .>> . . . 52
64 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 68 . . .>> . . . 63

EDIT
With the fan package running and the HDD temperature steady at 45 Deg. C, my measurements went down to the lower set of figures

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to do that. Looks like I shouldn’t be concerned about the hot spot.
I don’t think the fan would have much impact on the tuner temp but I’m curious about this “fan package”. I installed custom firmware 1.03.12 FW 3.10 in 2016 to solve the destructive delete problem. Do I need to update this? I’ve searched the entire site for “fan package” and get plenty of references to it but no link to the actual package. Could someone point me towards it? Thanks.

You are better off running the latest Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13) but I think you should be able to run the fan package without it, go to Main Webif Menu >>Package Management and click on 'Check for Updates', then click on 'Available' to view a list of packages, scroll down to 'fan' and then click on Install

Fan is configured from Main screen >> Settings >> fan settings, I'm not sure what the default % is, but try it at about 40%, note it can take up to 2 minutes for the fan to adopt this new setting

I’ve searched the entire site for “fan package” and get plenty of references to it but no link to the actual package. Could someone point me towards it?
I created an index for exactly that purpose, in the "pinned" threads at the top of the CF section of the forum: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/index-of-package-primary-topics.8005/

This is a case where a google search for site:hummy.tv/forums "fan package" would have been more productive than a forum search for "fan package", because the forum search tool ignores quotes, and strings shorter than 4 characters – the consequence would be a search for package.

I suggest you also take a look at the Configuration section of my CF Quick Start Guide, which includes:
fan *

As standard, Humax chose to minimise noise over longevity. The internal temperature is assumed from the reporting built into the HDD, and the fan remains off until the temperature gets critical... then it comes on full blast (very audible) and gradually throttles back as the temperature falls. This results in the system temperature oscillating between extremes, and this isn't very good for the HDD (or the system).​
fan is one of the early packages, created specifically to address the sudden onset of fan noise, but also the better regulation of cooling is good for longevity. The user sets a constant minimum fan speed (eg 30%) so the fan never turns off (but can increase from that if necessary). Low fan speeds are barely audible (the HDD makes a constant noise anyway), and the constant air flow (if set high enough) prevents the 'turbo' ever kicking in.​

Last edited:
OK, well I've got out my test system and run it for a few hours (fan 40%), and in an ambient 23°C the rear panel at the tuners reads up to 31°C (and that does feel quite warm, bordering uncomfortable).

Internally, the tuners read 42 and 44°C. The SoC is 63°C.

Apologies for my lack of understanding of search methods. Anyway, the fan package is now running at 40% min, and the internal temps are about the same.
Quite honestly I’ve never noticed fan noise, and the Humax sits on a shelf at head height about 3 feet behind my chair.

Back