RS emails - spurious characters

I will set incoming mails to Unicode (UTF-8)
Just for the record, seeing as you've implied that Unicode is UTF-8 twice now, it isn't!
Unicode is a character set. UTF-8 is a method of encoding that character set into variable length 8 bit lumps.
One other thing I noticed is that the RS email uses ISO-8859-15.
That is the whole problem. It says it's using one thing but then sends another. You need to convert between codepages and UTF-8 - you can't just blindly mix and match without getting in to the problems you have experienced.

Thanks prpr for the explanation. I have been quoting the options from within Thunderbird as per attached but, as you have perceived, without a full understanding of what they mean.
Capture06-03-2018-23.08.11.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have time to dig too deeply into this but I have changed the code so that it should set charset to UTF-8 in emails from now on. I will set up some test rules to try and catch example - there may be some conversion required for Hi-Def channels since they use a different encoding for their EPG data, but it's also possible that I already normalise that at the Humax end before uploading the EPG, I just don't remember offhand.

Tried it out (on BBC One HD) and okay. Am now however getting this as the first line of text on the email.
Capture08-03-2018-10.12.54.jpg

Back