RS Failed recording email - No hyperlink.

Dave F.

Hi
In a RS failed recording email, is there reason there's no hyperlink to the RS webpage in order to cancel the notification?

I've forgotten what a failed recording alert email looks like, but I don't think the notification is something which needs cancelling.

If you log into the RS, the main page for any particular machine (if you have more than one machine registered) includes a status panel showing failed recordings. This is a list of orphaned .hmt files the rs package has found and reported to RS. A .hmt file with no associated .ts file is indicative of a failed recording.

The status panel on RS offers a waste bin icon, and this queues a command to the HDR-FOX to delete the orphaned .hmt. Once the .hmt gets deleted, it will no longer be reported and listed (I think it might be removed from the list if it is scheduled to be deleted).

If I don't cancel a failed recording notification I get repeated emails.

I know how to delete a failed recording notification. I'm querying why there isn't a hyperlink to the webpage to make cancelling so much easier.

Is there a reason a hyperlink can't be added to the email?

Is there a reason a hyperlink can't be added to the email?
Not that I can think of (they exist in other emails), but it would just be a link to the RS home page. The actual device being viewed at the time (if you have more than one) is (I think) stored as a cookie. Even the links in programme notification emails don't take the user to the relevant machine the search was set for (it would be much handier if they did).

Adding a link-back in the failed recording email seems like a simple enough feature request @af123, and I'm not sure anyone else could do it.

To that I would add the (somewhat more complex) request that device selection can be achieved with a URL query string to override the cookie (and set a new cookie), or perhaps replace the cookie with a query string. Then emails should include the query string in link-backs.

If you only have one registered machine, then yes. If you have more than one, it will land at the home page for the machine viewed last – which might not be the one which generated the failed recording report. That's another reason the query string will help.

Sorry, but can you please stop with the 'multiple. units'. It's irrelevant to the vast majority of users & confuses what should be a really simple solution.

Back