Running Long self test on a newly wiped HDD

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
I; have a few HDDs that I intend to go through to see which appear to be worth keeping for use in HDR-FOX T2s, and which should be binned, or passed on.
I'm first wiping at the disks using dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M.
Then after formatting in an HDR-FOX T2 and creating a couple of HD recordings in parallel while watching a third HD in time slip mode, I'm running fixdisk without a long self test.

Would it be worth while also running a long self test, or does having just overwritten the entire disk with zeros mean that any possible benefits of the long self test would have already been dealt with?

Try DBan for wiping disks. aka Darik's_Boot_and_Nuke . It's one of the common ways of doing it.
Might also be worth checking the disk's SMART information for health.

Try DBan for wiping disks. aka Darik's_Boot_and_Nuke . It's one of the common ways of doing it.
Might also be worth checking the disk's SMART information for health.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm not trying to security clean the HDDs but I find that after a DD zero and an HDR_FOX T2 reformat fixdisk and the SMART data can be cleaner.
Another reason I'm using DD to zero the disk instead of anything else is because I can just use a spare HDR-FOX T2 to do that, as well as some other tests with the same setup. Those other tests do include checking the SMART data.

What I continue to be interested in is an answer to the question in my original post. I.e. after using DD to zero the entire disk, and then reformatting, is their any mileage in running a long self test?

after using DD to zero the entire disk, and then reformatting, is their any mileage in running a long self test?
I've done this too, and I don't think there is any benefit. All it does it waste time (and electricity).
Anything that isn't perfect after this process gets chucked, as it's just not worth the hassle.

Back