Save Streamed Content - not completing

makem

I enter a file name, select Save and wait. The process never appears to complete and the only way to end is to select Cancel.

However, a save is in fact done. I don't remember this happening previously. Should there be a 'Done' or 'Finished'? I have recently started using a script blocker but have allowed this site.

Those times I stopped it before it completed as I didn't want the credits or future programe information.

However, I have just done another stream and I let it complete so I will see if that does make a difference.

Edit: this time when I selected Save Last Stream the popup was different in that it just had a place for the file name. Previously the popup contained a lot of information about the file and at the end had the place for a filename.

Well, no change, it is still saving but this time no file saved.

2nd Edit: A completed file was present but it appeared a good while later and it was still saving.

Last edited:
You want the progress report at the bottom of the WebIF media browser page not to say "growing".

You suggest I must always let the streaming complete itself rather then when I want it to?

Well the streaming I have just done I allowed to complete and the saving still never finished but a whole file was made as it was when I cut short the streaming..

What is the result when a save finishes? Is there a 'Done' or 'Finished'? I never had any problems in the past, everything went as expected and because of that I can't remember how the finish was indicated.

I still feel it is due to the NoScript I use with Firefox as this is the only recent change.

Using Win7/Chrome, I did a "save last streamed" and the pop-up dialogue where I entered the desired target file name showed a "saving" spinner for the duration of the save, and then the completion of the save was signalled by the closing of the pop-up.

I couldn't run another trial with iPlayer (see HERE), but with YouTube I found the same whether I saved when the status was no longer "growing" or when I clicked while it was still growing, or even after terminating the download by exiting the TV Portal.

Curiously, the first time I saved after terminating the resulting file appeared to be too small in the media listing (which refreshed on exit from the pop-up). However, when retried with a different target file name, the retry was the correct size and also the previous was relisted as the correct size too. There must be some caching going on.

The behaviour depends on the browser. In some browsers the dialogue box isn't dismissed until the copying of the streamer down file is complete, in others, the box disappears quickly but the file copying continues in the background: if you refresh the Web-If media browser page in the latter case you will see the file growing. If you cancel before pressing save, the process is cancelled. If you cancel after saving, the save operation will complete in the background. When you select save you should get a pop-up with lots of info about the download: if you just get a dialogue box to input the file name without this info, something has gone wrong: cancel and try again.
It was easier with the older version of iPlayer (V3) as you could see the download progress on screen. Now you only have Web-If to monitor the download. It is fine to save the download with iPlayer still running but I recommend waiting until you are sure all the file has downloaded. If you do stop the download early, when you play the resulting mp4 file, it will seem to be the right length but you won't have all of it: at some point playback will stop. Make sure the save is complete before watching a different iPlayer programme or YouTube clip as this will wipe the streamer down file and mess up your download.

Back