Saved files 'suddenly scrambled'

OldGoat

Today I looked at my indexed files and find the videos un readable (my lfe's collection......)
All the videos are indexed and I van view the indexes on the TV and via the PC.. When I try to view the programme I get a 'not found' message.
I can record and view new programme, but not an existing one.
The Management is distraut as she has lots of programmes saved......
Wnat should I do to save my sanity?

What do you mean by 'indexed'. Are we talking DLNA here or something else?
Try DLNA reset from the Diagnostics page on the WebIf.

Photos of what exactly you are looking at would help, and save you trying to describe...

The Management is distraut as she has lots of programmes saved......
You mean you have content considered precious and/or vital, but don't have it backed up anywhere? More fool you.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I was hoping to keep the query simple, but I'll try again with more detail.
I have a number of recorded programmes save to watch 'later'
yesterday I decided to delete a number (about 100 Gigs worth) which I did using the custom firmware interface.
There were no problems reported
Today I checked the saved files by watching a sample on the TV and found error messages stating that the recording could not be found.
The listings - using Webif appears correct, but the message on the TV from the HDR Fox Hdmi port says that there is a data error and the recording cannot be found.
A later short recording can be replayed, so I'm assumung that something went wrong in the bulk erase process.

Then your best bet is to run fix-disk.

You'll need to use Telnet, or at least have the webshell package installed. I don't recommend installing it now, in case it exacerbates the disk issues. In summary:
  1. Boot into Maintenance Mode;

2. From the Telnet menu (in maintenance mode only) select fix-disk - with webshell installed this can be done from a web browser on the WebIF link, but without you'll have to use something like PuTTY (click here for wiki info);

3. Make sure to enter "-y" as an additional option when asked.

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

A later short recording can be replayed
You've made changes to the disk contents after discovering the problem? Bad idea!! If some the lost information was in sectors which have now been re-used, you won't get it back.

Last edited:
A later short recording can be replayed, so I'm assuming that something went wrong in the bulk erase process.
It looks like it, but it's very difficult for anyone else to say what. I presume you don't have the undelete package installed and therefore can't just recover them from the bin?
You need to probe the disk at filesystem level from a command prompt, using telnet or similar. e.g. ls -l "/media/My Video" and see what that reveals. It sounds like the .ts files have gone but the .hmt files are still there.
No idea of the cause though.
As BH suggests, running fix-disk first is probably a good idea.

Well, Gentlemen - I immediately downed other tools and spent the next two hours (that's how long 'fixdisk' took to run) and hey presto - at the end of a chanhed style of 9 lessons from King's, I got my corrupted videos back (actually, they're The Managements files) - thus I'm spared an extended period in the grumpy department, which is more punishment than the damaged videos.
I digress
I've been a fan of Humax kit for more years than I remember (previously using Sky branded kit and other boxes). This is the first time that I've had to call for help or had any major problems; the solution meant going back to the DoS window which I hadn't used for years - so much trepidation.
Anyway, fellow forun members, thank you so much for pointing a way to a solution. I shall bed fed tonight as she-who-must is now pleased.
All thanks to you. I'm very grateful!

FWIW there were about 250 gigs worth of recordings to be recovered.
The moral is don't do mass deletions and clean ups from the Webif interface.

two hours (that's how long 'fixdisk' took to run)
Believe it or not, that was quite quick. A severely trashed disk can take days.

The moral is don't do mass deletions and clean ups from the Webif interface.
I don't think so. That fixdisk got it back implies file system errors and possibly corruption before you got involved. I think the lesson should be to run fixdisk on a regular basis, and especially before doing any major disk shuffling.

The whole thing seems a bit of a house of cards at times (IIRC it got me an 'always deleting' loop once), so now I avoid doing mass deletions from either interface.

My preference is to work from the TV screen by selecting 10-12 programmes at a time, deleting them, wait till that's finished processing, then select the next batch .. etc.

Back