Scheduled events no longer working - Refresh events does nothing

mr-b

My Hummy's been packed away for a couple of months during some building work but now it's powered back on, it seems to have missed recording any existing series.
I checked the UI Scheduled Events page and it lists only dashes for the Start Time (the last one was back in Nov-21) and also for duration.
Then I tried doing a Refresh Events for the existing events but none of them are populated, even though there are upcoming programmes in the EPG.
I tried creating a new series record for another programme and its Start Time is populated with all the upcoming programmes.

Any idea why the Humax being off would have caused problems?

Last edited:
The programme providers change their series IDs over time, so even thought a certain series appears to be currently available, it is effectively a new series because it has a different series ID to the one you stored on the Humax some months back

Things Every... (click) section 9:

9. Hidden Service Menu

There is a hidden service menu which (amongst other things) provides a proper eject operation for USB drives, signal detection tests for the specific individual tuners, and enables the CRID codes to be displayed on the i-plate for programmes in the EPG. CRID codes are part of the EPG data broadcast for each programme, and comprise a programme identifier and a series identifier.

These are important because they control the way series are recorded - only if the Series CRID is the same will a programme be regarded as part of the same series, and only if the Programme CRID is the same as an existing recording will it be regarded as a repeat broadcast and not recorded. Sometimes the broadcasters get things wrong and change the S-CRID mid-series, or not change it for the same time slot when a different series starts (particularly radio). The P-CRID allows the Humax to search for another broadcast of the same programme if there is a conflict when you try to set up a recording.

If you want to diagnose why a series recording has behaved strangely, and predict/prevent mishaps, displaying CRIDs is essential.

First, bring up the System Information menu page:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information
Access to the hidden menu is by an undocumented service code. In sequence, on the handset press Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Green, Yellow, Blue (ignore the "no entry" icon that appears on the screen).

You should now have a menu including an option to allow Display CRID to be enabled.

Hi all,

I'm suddenly experiencing what I think mr-b is describing - but on two boxes at the same time and seemingly only since the new year. Certainly not before Christmas Day. Is it possible there's a bug in CFW or another package that could be causing it?

I have found all of these symptoms on both of my units:
  • not shutting down (only going into standby)
  • scheduled recordings being missed
  • schedule not being updated

On the latter point, for example, I have had Toast Of Tinseltown set on series link since (including) Episode 1 (4th). The box had then rightly recorded on the 11th but missed last night's (18th). Yet when I turned it on this morning it was showing the next episode of the programme in the recording schedule as being on the 11th January. Rather than either the 18th or 25th.

The different instances these things have occurred in has got me a bit confused, but I think I also saw this on another series when the next episode (i.e. in this instance the 18th Jan episode) had successfully recorded - it was still saying the episode from the previous week was next in the schedule.

As mr-b found, other series linked recordings (and after power cycling, Toast) show up blank in the schedule as if not in the EPG any time soon, when they definitely are.

I've fully power cycled each box via the power switch on the rear but they seem to get confused again after a couple of days.

The range of symptoms and circumstances suggest to me it's neither a simple data corruption nor a CRID change, but something more fundamental. Indeed, the timing has lead me to wonder if there might be a Y2K-esque date bug somewhere?

The only difference between the two units' software is that one also has fix-disk 0.5 installed. Otherwise they are identically configured:
Web interface version: 1.4.9
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
arbookmarks 1.0.2-1
auto-schedule-restore 1.3
auto-unprotect 2.0.2
auto-update 2.0.5
iplfix 1
ir 1.17
newk 1.0.5-1
ntfs-3g 2013.1.13-5
rs 1.5.1-2
undelete 1.6-4
virtual-disk2 2.0-4
webif 1.4.9

Sorry for a late response - no reply notifications. :-(

Interesting to hear Aaron-B's experience. Another thing I'd noticed since last year was that the power button ring now never goes dim red, it remains as dim blue. It's running the redring package but I haven't changed any settings. I'd not seen a dim blue ring before but apparently it means "half awake" which https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Redring says means "Waiting / Recording from standby or OTA Search". It's not recording and I've no idea what it's waiting for even after reading article #18. Could it be in the Delinquent Half-awake state?

Also I deleted the old scheduled events and created new series recordings - now the Start Time column is populated correctly so that looks promising.

Standby is "shut down", there is no deeper state than that other than power off at the switch. Check out Things Every... (click) section 18 for diagnosis and possible causes.
Okay, so to clarify then:
Both boxes were stuck in half-awake state, never going into standby with the satisfying HDD stopping click. They turned immediately back to full "on" without the system boot screen on HDMI out; straight into a TV picture.

Both boxes' power settings are Power Saving in Standby OFF and Automatic Power Down ON.

As such, it largely appears to match your description of the "delinquent half-awake" state. As to the noted causes...

1. Power on/off timer mismatch
These are switched off (indeed, functionality has never been used on either unit).

2. Corrupt recording
One box had a corrupt recording about 2 weeks before the problem was first noticed, but the other box has had none.

3. Mismatched recording files
I haven't seen any sign of this; is there a diagnostic I can run and check automatically?

4. Delete loop
No sign of this horror of horrors occurring.

5. Cold start
N/A

At the time of writing both units are powering up and down correctly, but one box (note to self: #1) has all of its schedule populated correctly whilst the other (NTS: #2) has not discovered a couple of upcoming broadcasts - including the aforementioned Toast Of Tinseltown. Double checking that, the series CRID is indeed correct.

It's a stab in the dark, but you could try a system flush.

The HDR-FOX operational firmware relies extensively on database data structures to hold the information such as user settings, EPG, tuning, recording schedule. System flush is a file downloaded from the firmware downloads page on the wiki* and applied to the HDR-FOX as if a firmware update. It doesn't actually update any firmware, instead it causes the HDR-FOX to perform a deep reset of the internal data structures.

* The main repository for firmware downloads is off-line due to the web host having changed the access parameters and the relevant personnel being unavailable. A secondary repository has been set up to plug the gap, see Wiki Firmware Downloads 2.

You may find that you then need to set everything up again. For a custom firmware users, this can be painless – see Restoring User Settings after Restore Factory Defaults.

Thanks @Black Hole. The box that was all scheduled correctly last night is now incorrect (having recorded last night's Screw on Channel 4, but not picked up next week's), so I will perform that flush on both this evening and report back.

My box is also now shutting down correctly (disk powers off, dim red ring). Some series recordings are working again but two others that were recreated and worked last night, are not detecting next week's episodes. The power options are Power Saving in Standby ON and Automatic Power Down ON, thoug I don't recall setting or changing these. I don't have time to (recover from a) flush reset currently so will have to monitor it for now.
I think Aaron-B's boxes and mine have somehow got the hidden wormhole package installed. The facts speak for themselves.

I've flushed one box (#2), but upon restoring the schedule it was still not picking up future events. (At what point does the unit look for EPG updates and new broadcasts that match a series link? On the mid-night update?)

I then deleted all scheduled recordings, put it into standby, booted back up again, and recreated a number of series linked recordings (all via Web IF). Those for tonight did appear to detect next Friday's next episodes too.

Meanwhile, box #1 I deleted all (rightly or wrongly) un-scheduled series link recordings, leaving just a few in the next 24 hours that I have already recreated this week, then restarted, and added a few more series links. Without the flush.

So now we wait!

Box #1 has correctly recorded Would I Lie To You? tonight but has not picked up next Friday's broadcast.

Box #2 - the one that I flushed - now forgets its entire schedule every time it goes into standby.

I need an emoticon of a man bashing his head repeatedly against a brick wall.

These issues sound very much like what some other users (including me) have posted on mike_m's thread (https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/schedule-list-shows-programmes-already-recorded.10474/) regarding the schedule not picking up any future recordings, despite being there in the EPG. It appears to have fixed itself for mike_m but I'm still having to manually schedule things

Web interface version: 1.4.9
Custom firmware version: 3.12 (build 3965)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.12)

auto-unprotect
auto-update
disable-ota
redring
sysmon
tunefix
undelete
webif

I've not tried a system flush, but it sounds like Aaron-B is having a bad time with it!

Turned on the box again yesterday:

1. Tonight programme (ITV) is shown without a date or time in schedule.
2. Without deleting the dead schedule, I manually schedule the next Tonight programme airing on Thursday. Humax complains about a recording conflict (there isn't one), I cancelled out of the conflict popup window.
3. Going back into Schedule, it now shows it will record next Tonight programme on Thursday, plus it also wants to record the one that aired a few days ago(??!).
4. Box now refuses to go into deep sleep

It looks like what I did (in 2.) forced a refresh and the schedule was able to pick up the next series link successfully. And I believe the box is refusing to go into deep sleep as it's waiting to record Tonight on the 20th, which has already passed...

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there has been some recent event triggering this, as one of my boxes has had scheduling issues since around Christmas, though my other HDR T2 used more often for recording has been fine.

The problem box had been occasionally hanging, for a reason I had not found, several time over the last couple of months.

On the problem box, the events showed in the on screen or Webif schedule without a date (all due for last Saturday evening 15th). Selecting one of them again from the EPG would show a clash.

I can't remember if it was shutting down properly at night or not.

I did try the deletion of the EPG data from the command line in maintenance mode. Though after that it wouldn't repopulate in the Webif EPG. I also deleted the entire schedule from the WebIf, including wake and sleep items. I also did a CFW reset. Ran Fixdisk but no errors found. Still no EPG repopulating.

Leaving it on BBC One HD, on which it was set to start and spends most of its time, might have been part of the issue. After being changed to SD BBC One, the Webif EPG started repopulating straight away.

I added the schedule items for yesterday (Saturday 22nd) and they recorded successfully. I've set the night time sleep just now so will keep an eye on how it gets on.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Back