Set up for a new HD-Fox

dabeeeenster

Hi,

I've just bought an HD-Fox and am now trying to get my head around the best setup for it. I'll add an external hard disk, and ideally would like to be able to stream recorded programs over DLNA from the box to my TV and laptop. I see that the encryption was figured out last year and there's now a decrypter script (https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/offline-decryption-utility.8676/). Is there a guide on the best setup for this currently? Can I get this script to run on the device, or are people generally copying the files off the box onto a HTPC/Pi etc and then decrypting there?

Thanks!

ideally would like to be able to stream recorded programs over DLNA from the box to my TV and laptop.
There is no DLNA server for the HD-FOX as standard, you will need to install the mediatomb package. You might be better off installing samba (for remote file sharing to a Windows machine, except I think there are some SMB compatibility problems with Win10) or nfs-utils (for a Linux/MacOS machine).

Can I get this script to run on the device
The best way to run on-box decryption is to install the beta version of stripts and then do it all from the WebIF. Each decryption takes "a while", but not a ridiculous time compared with the fuss of moving stuff off and back, or booting into HDR Mode for decryption. Try it and see.

Decryption Guide (click)

are people generally copying the files off the box onto a HTPC/Pi etc and then decrypting there?
That is an option, you could even transfer the whole disk, but 1. "people" a generally using HDR-FOXes; and 2. if you are selective about what you decrypt (ie only the stuff you must view remote from the local HDMI port) it's no great problem (now).

Last edited:
There is no DLNA server for the HD-FOX as standard, you will need to install the mediatomb package. You might be better off installing samba (for remote file sharing to a Windows machine, except I think there are some SMB compatibility problems with Win10) or nfs-utils (for a Linux/MacOS machine).

The best way to run on-box decryption is to install the beta version of stripts and then do it all from the WebIF. Each decryption takes "a while", but not a ridiculous time compared with the fuss of moving stuff off and back, or booting into HDR Mode for decryption. Try it and see.

Decryption Guide (click)

That is an option, you could even transfer the whole disk, but 1. "people" a generally using HDR-FOXes; and 2. if you are selective about what you decrypt (ie only the stuff you must view remote from the local HDMI port) it's no great problem (now).

Thanks so much for the reply. Couple of questions:

• Is there a way to run stripts automatically when a program has finished recording?
  • Is there a version of stripts for arm/arm64 linux? I have an odroid n2 that I use for this sort of thing by my TV but it's using the arm64 architecture and the linux binary doesn't work.

Thanks!

I stand to be corrected, but I thought that if you install auto-unprotect (to deprotect high def. recordings) and flag the 'Video' folder for automatic decryption on the HD-FOX, then any recordings will be decrypted automatically using stripts rather than the DLNA server.
Changing the decryption key so that the first and second half match speeds the decryption up compared to a native key, but it is still slower than the DLNA method on the HDR-FOX.

I stand to be corrected, but I thought that if you install auto-unprotect (to deprotect high def. recordings) and flag the 'Video' folder for automatic decryption on the HD-FOX, then any recordings will be decrypted automatically using stripts rather than the DLNA server.
You might be right. It seems a bit rash though, considering the time each one will take.

Back