Setting up a FVR-5000T to simultaneously view the recording in several rooms

johnbee

As i’m fed up with the poor and expensive service from Virgin I’m considering replacing it with a ‘host’ smart tv and a Humax FVR-5000T, but being a novice to the technology involved I need your advice.
My current set up includes a Virgin router and their Tivo 500 box so I can share the selected ‘host’ tv programme/recording on the other 4 (non smart) tv’s around the house using a Maplin VH89 programmable universal modulator, RF signal booster and RF cabling.
My intentions are to rely on Freeview programmes supplimented by programmes/films streamed from Netflix, Prime etc and I am attracted to the FVR-5000T because it can simultaneously record 4 programmes while watching a 5th, but i don’t know if/what changes will be required to my other tv’s distribution system. I see that the FVR has RF in & out sockets but does that mean i can use my existing set up?
If not, please advise me what you would recommend to maintain sharing the host channel on my other non smart tv’s?

I see that the FVR has RF in & out sockets but does that mean i can use my existing set up?
If you are asking whether the FVR-5000T plays its recordings over a modulated UHF channel, the answer is no.

If you mean can you take SCART or phono analogue output from the FVR-5000T and modulate them onto a UHF channel using the Maplin modulator, the answer is yes (assuming the 5000-T has analogue outputs) but I would personally find the result unacceptable in quality compared with the live DVB-T broadcast.

The preferred method to do this kind of thing these days is by each client TV to include a DLNA media player (or have an external media player) that can access recordings on a DLNA server (the 5000-T) across the home network. Alternatively a HDMI to UHF DVB-T modulator can be had for not much more than £100.

Assuming this is actually talking about the FVP 5000T, the current Humax box, then it doesn’t have SCART output but it does have RCA.

The preferred method to do this kind of thing these days is by each client TV to include a DLNA media player (or have an external media player) that can access recordings on a DLNA server (the 5000-T) across the home network.
I'm not certain whether the 5000T is designed to allow the playing of the live channel via DLNA. I think it is, but I can't get it to work. I've a feeling (but no proof) that playing Netflix etc on the box might be difficult to send over DLNA.
If you mean can you take SCART or phono analogue output from the FVR-5000T and modulate them onto a UHF channel using the Maplin modulator, the answer is yes (assuming the 5000-T has analogue outputs) but I would personally find the result unacceptable in quality compared with the live DVB-T broadcast.
If you have a phono (RCA) to whatever-the-Maplin-modulator-analogue-input-is cable, this can be done. Simple replacement of the Humax for the Tivo. Perhaps johnbee is used to poor picture quality and is prepared to continue that way. More chance of this meeting his requirements than DLNA.

'm not certain whether the 5000T is designed to allow the playing of the live channel via DLNA. I think it is, but I can't get it to work.
If it does, fine - but if not I hadn't expected it to.

The OP needs to manage expectations. Live feed isn't an issue: all the TVs have an aerial feed to receive the modulated signal, so they can all go free-to-air (even if they are analogue only and need a set-top box).

My interpretation of the original post is that he wants TVs to display recorded playback simultaneously - well, analogue to modulator will do that (in poor quality), or you throw a lot of money at it, or you realise that synchronised playback isn't a life-essential.

My interpretation of "so I can share the selected ‘host’ tv programme/recording" is that live TV may be required.

many thanks for your prompt replies, which tells me that my existing arrangement will not share the FVR recordings but i need a little time to research/comprehend your proposals. But i’ll be back for more advice. Regards, John

many thanks for your prompt replies, which tells me that my existing arrangement will not share the FVR recordings but i need a little time to research/comprehend your proposals. But i’ll be back for more advice. Regards, John

Can you run a single Flat Cat 7 network cable from the Humax location to the remote TV ? Does the remote TV have a DVB-T HD tuner (most do) This allows the use of a expensive digital modulator. ? Does the local TV and the remote one have the same screen resolution ( eg 1920 x 1080 Pixels). You also are likely to need to change the Hunax box HDMI digital audio out to stereo.

If so cheapest way is connect the box HDMI out cable to this device in and use it's loop out to connect local TV. The remote balun has HDMI out and you get a infra red remote capability.

Add a HDMI switch so you can switch the sending balun HDMI source you can add other kit as well like a Blu-ray player or another PVR.

Back