Sidecar Files not generating nts file

I have tested the sidecar files generator on a 30 minute sky at night program by deleting the hmt and nts files via filezilla, but when I use sidecar files menu option to generate the sidecar files it only generates the hmt file, it always generates an nts file of zero bytes, no matter how long I leave it to do the job.

The process bar just appears for a few seconds and then disappears every time.

Any help please ???

Last edited:
Which version of sidecar are you running? Was the programme decrypted beforehand?

Were there any error messages in the output pane ? Did you try running sidecar from the command line on this recording ?

Sidecar v1.8, yes the file is decrypted, ohh what's this... I have just checked it again and it is working, a new nts file is now there, it must have taken hours to do the job, but there was no indication of anything being processed, no progress bar, nothing, but it works fine now. AV2HDR only takes a few minutes to complete this file, so I did not expect Sidecar Files to take soooo long.

it must have taken hours to do the job, but there was no indication of anything being processed, no progress bar, nothing, but it works fine now.
I can't believe it actually took hours, (ten minutes maybe) and I also don't understand why you had no indication of it being processed. It should have displayed a progress bar, with regular updates in the status pane, as to what it was going on. The underlying binary seems to be OK, but the web interface hooks could possibly be corrupted. Since you appear to be the only one experiencing this problem, I would try removing, and re-installing the sidecar package.
AV2HDR only takes a few minutes to complete this file, so I did not expect Sidecar Files to take soooo long.
You can't really compare the performance of multicore CPU's, as used on modern PC's with that of the T2. They not in the same league.

Thanks for your reply raydon,

I have tried your suggestion by uninstalling and re-installing the sidecar plugin but I still get a progress bar that only lasts for a few seconds and then the panel displays these contents.

media/My Video/New_ The Sky at Night/New_ The Sky at Night_20150614_2000.ts
Channel Number 0.
Channel Name Freeview.
Duration 1812 seconds.
Video ID $00C9, Type H264.
Audio ID $00CA, Type AAC.
Audio Desc ID $00CC, Type AAC.
Sub-titles ID $00CB. PMT ID $03EA.
Prog ID $A010.
Transport Stream ID $A000.
Original Network ID $233A.
Event ID $EFCC.

Title: New: The Sky at Night Description: Rosetta Update - A Comet's Story: The latest stunning images and results from the Rosetta comet landing mission. What are the strange surface features dubbed comet goosebumps? [HD]
Create NTS file.
Analyzing source video.

This info panel is all that remains, no progress bar is displayed, and it does not seem to be creating a working nts file anymore, tried multiple times.

I have just recently upgraded to firmware 1.03.12 CFW 3.03 and have noticed a few errors like pressing the OK button on the remote not listing channels while recording and not being able to rewind live TV on some occasions while recording just one channel, but maybe I will post a new thread for this.

Last edited:
Is there anything showing in the webif-errors log file viewable through diagnostics?

I have just recently upgraded to firmware 1.03.12 CFW 3.03 and have noticed a few errors like pressing the OK button on the remote not listing channels while recording and not being able to rewind live TV on some occasions while recording just one channel, but maybe I will post a new thread for this.
Nothing to do with CF methinks. af123 or raydon will no doubt confirm this.

Does Sidecar Files have any dependencies ? I can not get it to generate nts files on HD files at all, the progress bar lasts for a few seconds and then the info panel displays.
I can get "Some" SD files working ... albeit without a progress bar, but nothing longer than appx 1 hour, something wrong here.

Has anyone else had problems generating nts sidecar files ?

I am using v1.9 and have tried it using Firefox v39.0 and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 64bit, but still no results on HD files.

Last edited:
Does Sidecar Files have any dependencies ?
No.
Has anyone else had problems generating nts sidecar files ?
No-one else has reported any issues regarding NTS file generation on native recordings. There have been other minor issues reported previously but these have all been addressed in updates.
Here's a couple of screen captures I did last night of sidecar generating an NTS file from an HD source. Both via the web interface and the command line.

sidecar_CLI.png sidecar_GUI.png

I would recommend that you try NTS generation from the command line. This will both eliminate any possible interaction with the web interface, and allow you to to better see any error messages returned by sidecar. Use the command sidecar -inp "recording_name" as per the example in the screenshot, from the directory containing your recording.

Last edited:
Hi Raydon,

That image of the progress bar is what I see for just a few seconds, then it jumps to 100% and disappears, then the info panel displays with "Analysing source video" at the end and then nothing else happens, and the nts file is always zero bytes.

I will test the inegrity of the HDD to see if that could be the cause of the problem, if not I will flush the system back to factory settings and re-install everything from scratch, then start again to see if that works.

I will report back here to let you know the result.

I will test the inegrity of the HDD to see if that could be the cause of the problem
It won't be.
if not I will flush the system back to factory settings and re-install everything from scratch, then start again to see if that works.
It won't.
Not tried, I don't use command line stuff ...
Don't expect a resolution then.
currently in progress of re-intalling everything from scratch.
Pointless. But hey, if you like wasting your time...

Back