Simple question? Can I upgrade HDD from 0.5GB to 1, 2 or 3GB HDD?

1 and 2 definitely. 3 not sure. Research on the forum for what people have tried.

In summary: unless you feel particularly pioneering, 2TB is a practical limit and then installation will be straightforward using the current roll-out of Humax firmware (1.03.12) to format it through the menus. A drive optimised for AV use is recommended.

It may be possible to go larger, but then you will not be able to use the standard format option and the drive will have to be prepared by hand. Specifying larger sectors is a possible solution.

See Things Every... (click) section 12 for a few pointers. Also af123's 2TB installation blog on the wiki HERE (click) - which was written before the standard Humax firmware had 2TB capability.

Last edited:
See Things Every... (click) section 12 for a few pointers. Also af123's 2TB installation blog on the wiki HERE (click).

In summary: unless you feel particularly pioneering, 2TB is a practical limit and then installation will be straightforward using the current roll-out of Humax firmware (1.03.12) to format it through the menus. A drive optimised for AV use is recommended.

It may be possible to go larger, but then you will not be able to use the standard format option and the drive will have to be prepared by hand. Specifying larger sectors is a possible solution.

Cheers guys!

2TB should see you right for about a full month's worth of pretty heavy duty daily recording schedules in SD, mind. Unless you're planning on lots of HD recording, going away for six weeks, or will be out of the house for 3-4 weeks without being able to clear out the disc (inc moving everything to an external drive...) beforehand, that should really be enough ;)

Mind that external discs, these days are often - weirdly enough - cheaper per terabyte (terrabite?) than internal ones... and it's easy enough to spin everything onto a 4, 5, 6tb one using the CF and a PC as the intermediary.

Another option is to stick with a fairy small HDD in the STB and use the CF/Sweeper or some other solution to automatically move all decrypted content to a NAS for extra protection and greater storage capacity.

^ this is actually another question I was going to ask later on ... is it relatively simple, if I have a large external HDD connected to an old laptop (basically operating as a NAS with Windows and a DVDRW...), to share a folder on that disc and have the Humax sweep into it? Right now I'm doing it manually, which isn't really much of a problem but it does mean the network tends to be idle when I'm not in, and then crammed with traffic for an hour or so during the copy operation... and I've seen there's all the CF packages that let you mount and *access* network shares, but nothing that outright specifies any ability to *write* to them ;)

Yes, if an external drive is mounted as per network-shares-automount (you don't have to use that method in particular, but it does look after itself and periodically check whether the referenced drive is present on the network, and if so mounts it), it looks to all intents and purposes as if it is a USB drive, and you can use it the same as a USB drive. It can also be integrated into My Video as if it is part of the internal drive, but I advise extreme caution doing that (for example: the Humax processes will also see it as part of the internal drive, so you will find the DLNA indexer scanning it, so the processes will slow down and possibly crash).

Back